Chapter - 41

"Congratulations. I hope you liked my wedding present."

My jaw clenched at his deep yet mocking voice. He was just purely odious. The nerves this guy has sometimes confounded me. What was I even expecting?

I was on the verge of breaking his nose and dumping his body into the vast sea. But then I realized why I am here.

"Let's get this straight, Shubham. After all these years of torment, you put me through what more do you want from me?" I asked in a way that would put anyone in shame but unfortunately, he wasn't just anyone.

And shame? God no, hell will freeze if this guy ever encountered that emotion in his life.

"Oh? I did? Sorry, I don't think I remember kicking you out of the house. Maybe my memory is just blurry but if it serves right, it was your so-called Papa who did the honors." That nerves wrecking and taunting smile never left his mouth as my fists tightened at the side of my hips.

"Don't even think about it." I said through gritted teeth. "I am not that naive teenager and I will not entertain your manipulations."

He shrugged. "You were never easy to manipulate in the first place."

"So you chose to manipulate everyone else who wasn't me." I spat feeling the itch on my hands that begged to be curled in a death grip around his neck.

"Being calculative, now are we?" He chuckled. It was dark and sinister. One which didn't invite any joke but the kind which made your skin crawl.

"Just answer the damn question. Why am I here? What do you want now? What is the purpose of reopening that case? You yourself made sure it was closed right away and now you are ready to open it? Why?"

"I love the way you are always so talkative around me. They say only the people who deserve us bring out the best in us."

It makes me so irritated that he is stalling my time. This is the moment when I was supposed to visit Shrishti's school with Vivaan. After the heartwarming breakfast at the Singhania mansion, I was free today. But no, this guy had to call me here and dare I say bring out the worst in me.

"The only person I ever deserved in my life is my husband. And you better stay within your limits. I still very clearly remember how you fooled me into stupidity years ago." I pointed a finger at him sharply. My patience was thinning with each passing second and he very well knows it.

"Your husband. Yes, I know him. A very good doctor he is, saved my father two years back. And God, did I feel like snapping his neck into two? But I am sure you wouldn't like to hear that would you, Mayra?" He raised his eyebrows.

It was taking me my all to not literally kill him right now. "What?"

"Oh yes, Baba passed on last year due to a heart attack." Fake but as real as his sadness might look, he wiped the imaginary tears from his eyes.

"You are a monster." I shook my head in disbelief.

"You are too eager to judge me, love. Trust me, it had nothing to do with me. I mean we just discussed how his dear daughter went into a coma. That's all. I didn't even touch him. Now, what's my fault if he had a faint heart?"

I still can't believe how I overlooked this wickedness in the past. Everything was right in front of me and I foolishly fell into the same trap twice. Might even turn thrice if he decides to kidnap me now. But I am sure that's not what he wants or I would not be standing here today.

"Abha was your sister! How could you do that to her?" I yelled angrily. Even though we were not exactly on friendlier terms back then, Abha is still one of the people I am grateful for in my life. The only remorse I have is that I couldn't help her myself.