💎 Chapter 7 💎

As the month of August slowly decayed toward its completion, things had returned to their normal routine at the Asahina Residence. Their summer vacation had been a wonderful trip but as soon as they had returned back home, everyone had work and school waiting for them. Karina was one of them, spending most of her time studying or at school. And following the example of her siblings, Ema and Iori, the black-haired girl had decided to take up a job for a passive flow of money.

Ever since she had been a young child, Karina had always been sought out by local malls and boutiques as to work as a model for their look-books. Her adopted father, Rintarou, had initially been hesitant about it but slowly allowed her to do some select photoshoots to grow her confidence. Now that she was in her late teens, modelling brought a hefty cheque but it was not something regular.

There were many places around the vicinity that had job listings and Karina decided to apply for a job as a waitress at lovely restaurant within walking distance from her home. It was a fairly tough job but Karina slowly allowed herself to get used it. The pay was good and the people were mostly nice. It was a place that she had visited with friends and family before.

Yet on that Thursday, Karina did not have to go to school due to inspection day and her shift at the restaurant was at five in the evening for four hours that day. She was sure that she would come home just in time to prepare for dinner with Ukyo and have the said dinner with her family.

However, although everyone appeared to have work to do, it was not just Karina who had remained home that day. Louis also happened to be at home – in fact, he sat across from her as the two played Shogi.

Shogi was something that Karina enjoyed playing, and it while Ema was not as enthusiatic about it, that hole was completely filled with Masaomi, Ukyo, Louis and Iori. Every one of them was excellent at the game and always agreed to play it with Karina. It was fun for them to team-up at times as well.

Kaname wasn't very much fond of this as in his words, the attention that was meant for him was being diverted toward his brothers. But Karina was never in the mood to play his 'favourite game' which happened to be twister. He didn't need that game to constantly wrap himself around her.

Ignoring where her trail of thoughts was headed, Karina returned to the present in the living room of the Asahina Residence, reaching out to move her piece. She had been ignoring Kaname completely – it was warranted after his strange behaviour at the private island during the vacation.

She had absolutely no idea what to think about it.

"Ah... Kikuo-Chan has won... again," said Louis, and although he sounded a bit disappointed, he still smiled blissfully at her – as if his loss was redeemed as long as it was Karina's victory. "You're very good at... this... I will need to partner with... Ukyo Nii-San to come any close to... beating you,"

"It is fun to play with Louis-San," Karina replied, returning the smile. "Even if I win or if Louis-San wins... the game is worthwhile. I really do enjoy playing it just with Louis-San,"

"... I'm glad," Louis said. "I'm tired now..." He crawled over to the couch, clumsily climbing upon it and then laying across it. "Good night... Kikuo-Chan... see you in a bit..."

"Good night for the little bit, Louis-San," Karina said as she also sat down on the end of the couch, reaching for the remote. "Sweet dreams.... would you mind if I watched television at a low volume?"

"Not at all," Louis replied. But then he suddenly moved, slipping closer to her and setting his head onto her lap, much to her surprise. "... now... I will sweet dreams..."

It was not anything that Karina had expected at all but Louis had already fallen asleep. Karina was taken aback initially however, the gentle presence of his head on her lap slowly incorporated itself into her comfort. She smiled to herself as she leaned back, getting comfortable to watch the show.