05 - t h e n

Aubrey

I've never been one to hate.

Until I met dimples.

And now, because of him and the feelings he brought along with himself into my life, I have come to a conclusion after an inner conflict with myself: Apart from Luca Morris, there is one other person I'd find running over with a car entertaining.

Alexis Dawson.

Knowing the both people I hate with a passion could be together does something to me. I don't know why, but it makes my blood boil. It's not shocking, for it's something involving Alexis.

She came wrecking-balling into my life and ruined every single chance I had with Sean. I haven't forgiven her since and I don't plan on it either. Everything was so smooth and perfectly planned out before she stepped into school, walking the halls like she owned them.

Thinking back on it, what was I doing having her as my friend? I was so stupid. It makes me sick to my stomach. Being friends is like promising the other undying loyalty. Alexis Dawson was anything but loyal.

You come across different kinds of people in life and they serve different purposes in your story. There's the bandages. Like the name, they stop you from bleeding out or give you the assurance you so badly need. They're your entire support system, the ones that hold you back from drowning into the pools of emotion and are the sources to your serotonin boosts. Your hope that all will be okay. Then there's the allegories. They're essentially life lessons. Maintaining a relationship with them comes with morals. They never fail to teach you something new every time. At times, they leave. Sometimes they linger around in the background and trigger unwanted memories. Another category is of the companions, they're around to keep you busy and make you have fun at every step. The element of understanding is missing in those, though, but the desire for fun is mutual. They're there, and you want them, and no matter how amazing they make everything, a connection always lacks.

The best ones though, are the ones that fall right in the middle of the companions and the bandages. I've always loved the idea of having a friend who knows me inside and out, raw and unfiltered, and provides me with affection and aid.

I don't quite know if they exist, though. I've yet to find out myself, but I like to hope there is.

Alexis, for me, was an allegory. She came to me disguised as an exemplar of how all people have two sides. Two faces, if you may. And for me, someone who's as transparent as glass, it was a big shove. In the right direction, sure, but it hurt nonetheless.

I can't help but think the pain of losing a lover could never compare to losing a friend.

Sean was a great guy. Everything you'd want. He was cute, respectful, funny. He was a gem, if you ask me. It took me some time to finally get him to see me, and Alexis destroyed it all. One fine day, she woke up and decided that she was, from now on, harbouring the biggest crush on Sean. Like the idiot I was, I thought it was okay.

People don't get to choose who their heart reaches out to.

So it was okay, I told myself.

Everything was okay until she spewed lies about me to him.

It's funny how everything and everyone comes with consequences. Absolutely nothing is for free.

I hear my phone go off somewhere in my room, putting my thoughts to a halt. I get up from my spot on my bed and walk over to my desk.

I answer the call. “Hey, Jay. What's up?”

“So, Aubs, we're having kind of like a meetup later this evening and—”