02 - n o w

Aubrey

The concept of familiarity has always given me comfort. I have always had a tendency to gravitate towards what I've already experimented with. Though the idea of exploration has my veins bursting with adrenaline, I have always shied away from it.

Maybe it's because I find it easier to take the route that I know by heart: the one with zero obstacles in my path. The other route, however, is cluttered with sticks and stones that'll have me on my ass in two seconds, with battles I'm not built to fight. So naturally, I prefer no injuries and take the easy way out.

Especially when I know I'll be in pain at the end of the journey.

Cowardly, one would think. I call it smart.

I do run away from my problems, if all that hasn't made it obvious yet. Practically sprint away. And to do just that, I wish I'd had Kenji Kishimoto's ability (i.e: turning invisible), because I quite frankly need it real bad in this particular moment right now.

A lump in my throat forms at the sight of him. His hair is longer, curly black tufts messily draping over his eyes. It's impossibly black, resembling the dead of night. I haven't seen him in so long and that adds to how attractive he looks right now. Hands tucked into pockets, he leans against a wall in front of the lecture hall's doors. He lifts his gaze from the floor and it instantly connects with mine.

I immediately feel my heart rate pick up when I see the all too familiar icy blue irises.

Is this real? I'm hallucinating, right?

I notice as my breathing becomes laboured but I continue walking. Then I walk past him. Hoping I'm crazy. Hoping none of this is real.

Footsteps resonate from behind me. And I realize. It's not an illusion.

"You're following me around." I navigate around the hallway and make my way to the lecture room, trying to keep my cool.

I wish I could evaporate into thin air. I think I'm going to lose it. This cannot be happening.

"That's partially because we share the first period today," He speaks from behind me.

Share the first period? What the hell's he talking about?

I have never seen him around campus. Does this mean he's now a part of the same educational institution as me?

I really, really wish I had super speed. Either that, or whatever it would take for me to rip his vocal cords out.

I halt, turn around, and face him. "Partially, you say?"

Regret is what I feel when I do turn around. His eyes are the same, like a confluence. His face looks tired. Somehow he looks even prettier than what I remember.

I shouldn't think that.

He nods. His casual attitude with me and nonchalance to the situation makes me sick to the stomach. Hands tucked away in the pockets of his black jeans like such an act could put me off. If looks could kill, he'd be dead a thousand times by now.

Luca Morris is adamant on talking to me, it seems. Me, however, I'm not interested. I find reruns to be boring, start overs to be useless. I'd rather die than be his friend.