Chapter Thirty-Four: Convince Me

En başından başla

"Did you see?" She asked.

"I didn't want to interrupt you." I said. "You looked like you were enjoying yourself."

Her hand moved to my wrist, and she grabbed the other as well. She shifted her weight enough to push me onto my back, and linger over me. There wasn't any malice in it. She was gentle enough that I could have stopped her had I desired to do so. I liked the gentleness of it.

"Judith—"

She whispered my name. Cold fingertips ghost along my collarbone, down to the decorative edge of my shift. I tensed as she peeled it away from my skin, and slipped it off of my shoulder. It stung just a bit. Her breathing stopped, her pale eyebrows drawing into a hard line. I didn't have to follow her gaze down to the bite mark. I knew it looked bad. I felt it every day.

"Judith, I can't drink your blood in your condition. If I did, it might—"

"I know." I said. "I'm not stupid."

Just jealous.

On the side of her neck I could see just the slightest bit of pink left where I had bitten her just a few nights ago. I let my hand drift up, and gently traced it with the tips of my fingers.

"Well, I am sometimes." I hummed.

She caught my hand and gently pushed it back down to the bed.

"You're the only one." She said, "I swear it. Ever since the day you finally let me touch you for the first time, there's been no other. I chase the high that the taste of your skin brings me every day."

I pulled my hand away from her once again and flicked the tip of her nose.

"Watch your silver tongue."

"It's more than just silver."

"I am well aware."

"Perhaps I should remind you anyway?" She asked.

"Perhaps tomorrow." I said. I wiggled away from her, and she rolled over to lay beside me. "I'm tired. You shouldn't have taken so long feasting on that woman."

"Fine- But I'll hold you to your word." She said.

"Don't worry." I said. "I always keep my word."

The days stretched out into a week and I found myself feeling content for the first time in a very long time

The days stretched out into a week and I found myself feeling content for the first time in a very long time. Apparently festivities could last quite a long time here. Though I felt physically unwell, I found it very easy to ignore. The nights I spent alone with Greta eased my fears more than I ever could have imagined.

I couldn't have guessed that she would be so attentive to me.

Steam rose up from the iron tub. I watched carefully as Greta poured in another pitcher of boiling water, eyes attentive, watching the temperature.