Chapter 5

Chapter 5

CORY

"There is no way in hell I'm recreating my parents' love story in some weird thirty-years-later trope

"There is no way in hell I'm recreating my parents' love story in some weird thirty-years-later trope." Cory shook her head as she sat down in the same chair her sister occupied an hour before her as Brenda and Virginia took their seats on either side of her, "And especially right after a breakup. Which is essentially the position both of my parents were in when they did this stupid project."

"Your voice carries, Miss Hall." Mr. Evans stepped into the classroom shortly after the three girls, taking a seat at his desk as the rest of the students started to trickle in, "I see that your sister can spread news quickly."

Cory felt her face grow warm and put her head down slightly, declining to respond. She sat in silence until class began, seething in her head as Mr. Evans explained the parameters of their assignment. She hardly felt the need to pay attention; she had heard the story of her parents meeting so many times that she could recite it in her sleep. She knew what the directions would be for this assignment.

And then Mr. Evans was waving a bowl full of crumpled up pieces of paper in her face, and Cory was picking out the name of the person who she would most certainly not have any romantic interest in.

Venus Coin.

Perfect. Cory would much prefer a new friend to a potential boyfriend. She didn't need anyone sending her love letters when she was heartbroken.

"Take the rest of class to write your initial letter. Try to let your pen pal know about yourself. Some fun facts, maybe."

Cory sat with her pen poised over the paper in front of her for a second, thinking over what she could say. Thinking over what she would even want to say to someone she had never met, and would most likely never end up meeting.

Venus,

I'm Cory Hall, and I'm sorry about this project. I think my parents may have had something to do with this whole stupid thing, which is unfortunate for both of us. They may or may not have met over a project like this, a hundred years ago.

I'm a senior at Yorktown High in Arlington, Virginia. I'm planning to go to the University of Maryland next year, which isn't too far from my family, but far enough that I won't have to see them every day.

I have two younger sisters and a bunch of cousins, some of whom aren't technically blood relatives. Some of them actually live out in California, where I believe you're at.

I also just got dumped so if you've got any advice on getting over a guy, I'm all ears.

Cory

***

"What the hell did you do?"

"Language." Cory's mother warned as the two high schoolers marched into their home after school.

"What did you think that would accomplish?" Cory asked her mother.

"I truly wish that I knew what you were talking about, but I'm not a mind reader."

"The pen pal project." Erin supplied, "You talked to Mr. Evans."

Sydney Hall's eyebrows rose into her hairline as she called across the house for her husband.

"Connor? Can you come to the kitchen?"

Ten seconds passed before Connor walked in, rolling up his sleeves and stopping short when he saw the expressions on his daughters' faces.

"Um..."

"Did you talk to Brady about putting together a pen pal project for the girls' history classes?"

Connor looked like a toddler caught with his hand in the cookie jar as he nodded slowly.

"I may have suggested, to a friend, that—"

"Dad!" Erin and Cory cried in unison.

"I thought it would be fun for you guys! Especially after a hard experience..."

"I appreciate that, but a heads-up would have been nice." Cory sighed, "It's a little weird walking into a story we've heard a hundred-plus times."

"You haven't heard it that much, Cory." Sydney rolled her eyes, "It sounds like your dad was just trying to help, in however misguided a way."

"Hey!" Connor protested, "It wasn't misguided. I just wanted you guys to be able to have a fun little project before you graduated high school. And it could be something for Cory to focus on instead of Houston."

Sydney made a shushing sound and held her finger to her lips.

"We don't say the ex-boyfriend's name, honey."

Connor put his hands in the air as a sign of surrender.

"I forgot. Girls, I'm sorry. I'm sure that if the project sucks, it'll be over soon enough."

"I hope so." Erin huffed to Cory, "I don't even have an ex-boyfriend to get over."

Cory looked at her sister with a single raised eyebrow.

"I'm not exactly jumping for joy over having been dumped, Erin."

Erin rolled her eyes.

"That's not what I'm saying, and you know that."

Both girls exchanged one more look before stalking off to their rooms. Cory could hear her parents whispering to each other, and she realized she hadn't even bothered to ask who Erin's pen pal was. Just because Cory was assigned to a girl, didn't mean that Erin couldn't be attracted to her pen pal.

If she is, she'll probably ignore it just to spite Mom and Dad.

A/N: Welcome back, everyone :)