Chapter {22} Destiny

Depuis le début

Devise not evil against thy neighbour, seeing he dwelleth securely by thee.

I just knew that everything I did yesterday was the will of the Lord and I should not take advantage of the situation that was put into my hands because it was not just anyone who had given me the responsibility to help him, it was God, so I would have to hold this with delicate hands. I gently shut my bible close and bowed my head in prayer, asking for guidance from the Lord to do his will in Nio's life and not to fulfil my own selfish desires.

With the song More than Gold by Judikay blasting through my phone's speakers, I washed up and wore white joggers with layers of shirts before wearing a woollen sweater on top of that, the weather was not playing, it was really cold in contrast to how it would be at this time back at home. I did not spend much time on my hair as it was plaited, I just had to style it and make beautiful circular designs in front to make it look more presentable and cute.

Ten minutes later, a warm cup of coffee with steam flying up high from it and two toasted slices of bread sat comfortably on the countertop just waiting to be munched on but I had someone to wait for and that person was taking her precious time that I eventually toke a slice of my graciously buttered toast and was about to put into my mouth when the sound of yawning stopped me.

"Are those for me?" Those were the first words that came out of her mouth as she trudged forward, in her long-sleeved funnel pyjamas, her eyes were trained on the pancakes I had made specially for her, surprise was written all over her face.

"No, they are not because you decided not to greet me this morning," I finally ate my delectable breakfast.

She gasped, "Good morning and thank you for making me pancakes."

"Your welcome," I replied after chewing my piece of toast.

As she dug into her food she asked a question only she would ask, "What put you in such a good mood today, that you decided to make me some breakfast and not the other way around?"

I playfully rolled my eyes at her, dusting off the tiny crumbs of toast off my joggers, "Am I not supposed to spoil my best friend, once in a while?"

"You never spoil me, now spill the beans," Thato flicked her pointer finger, waiting for me to tell her what had put me in such a good mood.

I saw no use in hiding what I had asked Nio yesterday so I opened up, "I asked Nio out for a cup of coffee."

Eerie silence, that's all I got, I had at least expected a shriek, but nothing.

"What?" She asked in no more than a whisper, pausing from her eating spree. "Perhaps my ears are playing tricks on me, please repeat what you said." I happened to think that my best friend was being dramatic.

I sighed, "I asked Nio out for some coffee."

And there came the shriek, "Wow, wow. The first time around I thought you were just playing around but you actually asked him. Yoh!" By now she had stood up, waving her hands around with every word and her eyes opened widely.

"Perhaps you misunderstood me, I asked him because I want to help him with the pain of losing Samantha," I felt that I needed to assure her that I had not initiated a date but rather a talk between the two of us.

"Oh," the disappointment could be heard in my best friend's tone and it even washed over her face.

"You thought it would be a date?" I smiled at her eagerness for me to get into the dating scene but I was not there yet, Nio and I's friendship would have to remain platonic especially since he had lost someone close to his heart.

"What did you expect? I thought that you would finally have love with a handsome Italian and have someone else to hang out with and not just me and Sienna," she shrugged in disappointment before slumping back into her seat and eating her now cool pancakes, dripping with maple syrup.

"Why are you so invested in my love life?" Perhaps she did not want to hang out with me anymore and that caused my heart to constrain with hurt because she was the one person whom I considered my sister and now she wanted to chase me away?

"Look," she sighed. "Don't get me wrong. I love being with you, hanging out with you and just being a sister of yours but it is a wish of mine for you to have a companion, someone who you can laugh with, talk with, give your heart to and even share your extensive knowledge of the Bible with. I love you Des and I just want the best for you." Tears threatened to spill out of her eyes as she rapidly blinked them away and I shed a tear listening to her touching words.

"I love you too," she stood up and I hugged my sister.

She stepped back and looked into my eyes, "Think about what I said, okay?" I nodded, knowing that my heart and mind would have a huge debate but one thing I knew was that if I were to date someone, I would date them for marriage, nothing more and nothing less.

*****

The final lesson of the day ended and I was on my way out to the back entrance, alone as Thato had no lectures today meaning she had stayed home. I walked past students, with the boys boisterously talking and even girls whispering to each other, ultimately stabbing their other friend in the back. Some gave me weird looks which had not stopped since Samantha had written about me and some boys would pester me, wanting my number or just wanting what I could offer them. I would just ignore them all.

"Don't worry about them, they have no better thing than to gossip about you," that deep, accented voice could only belong to one person. Nio.

"I don't," I replied with a smile as I looked at him and to no surprise, he was dashing though today he had decided to wear a short-sleeved puffer jacket with a single black long-sleeve shirt, did he not feel the cold weather?

"Good. We can go," he said walking and leaving me in the dust, only to speed walk up to him.

"Go where?" I asked though I knew what he was talking about. I was hoping to change into something nicer but seemed like he had other plans.

"To that date, you promised me," he answered nonchalantly as though he had not just called our coffee out a date.

"Oh," I said following him, as he strode towards a blue mustang convertible that stood out like a sore thumb from all the other cars. I knew we could not have been possibly going there because that car was just too expensive but when the car beeped and the doors automatically opened, I knew that it belonged to him.

I was about to climb into the backseat when he stopped me, "Where are you going? Come sit here," he pointed towards the passenger seat and I obliged without another word though my heart was skipping a beat at the thought of seating at close proximity with him.

His smell of sandalwood hit my nostrils as I inhaled all of it in, his leather seats looked like they had never been touched that even I was afraid of touching them but when I saw Nio swiftly taking a seat, I did the same.

He started the ignition and we were soon off on the road and that's when it hit me, "Nio, my car!" I had forgotten that I had a car of my own and now I had left it back at school making it an easy stealing target.

I thought I saw him rolling his eyes, but maybe perhaps not as he replied, "Don't worry your sweet little head, I asked the security to look after it till we returned." He made a rough turn and let me tell you, the man deserved a role in the fast and the furious as he was a racer on the road that I had to keep on checking that my seatbelt was secured every ten seconds even though I was the one who had initiated the hang out he was the one who was choosing the café.

My mind was stuck on the fact that he had called me sweet as he continued driving until I remembered that I owed him an answer, "Oh, thank you."

"You didn't correct me when I said we were going on a date," he chuckled, giving my frizzled self a side glance.

Oh.