An unwelcoming welcome

"Are we there yet?" Snotlout complained for the thousandth time, Hoofkang huffing beneath him. The group of dragon riders have been flying for almost a week now, taking rests on different islands in between. However, many of them were either infested by Changewings or Speed Stingers.

If the endless attacks from wild dragons weren't enough, the equally infinite complaining (Snotlout), promises (Hiccup), threats (Astrid), stupid games (Thorston twins) and endless rants of dragon knowledge (Fishlegs), were more than enough to make most of them, if not even the dragons impatient and annoyed.

"Maybe a couple more hours? The next one is definitely it" Hiccup replied. He was the only one still (trying to be) in high spirits. He has waited seven years for this, he can endure a few more torturous hours. Just as he had hoped, an island came into view, and it left them starstruck. The island could easily be twice the size of Berk.

Johann was right. Even from a distance, they can see dragons flying in the sky, enjoying the warm breeze, dragons swimming in the ocean, surrounding the island. All of them seem to be living in perfect harmony, a contrast to any other dragon islands.

Fishlegs was the most excited when he saw the dragons. "There are so many rare dragons here." He squealed, looking around while acting like a child on Snoggletog.

The gang decided to land in a small clearing nearby to explore foot. The moment they did though, a loud roar was heard from around them. Almost instantly, Deadly Nadders and Monstrous Nightmares emerged from the trees around them, effectively surrounding them. The Nadders raise their spiky tails while the Nightmares lit themselves up.

The riders' dragons immediately curled themselves around their partner protectively, baring their teeth or lighting up their mouths as a warning, daring the dragons around them to attack. But they didn't.

"Why aren't they attacking?" Asked Astrid, ax in hand, eyes darting around in alert.

"They seem to be waiting for something." Fishlegs replied shakily.

"Or someone." Hiccup mumbled as he looked up when they heard a sharp whistle-like sound.

Toothless perked up at the familiar sound of wings cutting the air, could it be? The sound sharpened as its source neared. Finally, it flew around them in a circle, seemingly analyzing the newcomers. Finally, it decided to land a few feet in front of the terrified group, revealing a black dragon with its rider. The dragon scanned the group suspiciously with slitted pupils, unwavering even when it's rider dismounted it.

The rider was dressed in black armor, their whole body covered to give no clue of their characteristics, except for their helmet that left two holes for their amber eyes to see. A sword was strapped to their back, daggers occupied their belt on their waist. Some compartment were also there, no doubt that it contained more lethal weapons.

The group gasped, the legends were true. Their dragon is a night fury. It looks similar to Toothless, but it has icy blue eyes instead of acid green, a real tail fin instead of a prosthetic, and a more petite body shape.

The rider slowly walked towards the gang, their demeanor being hard to read, and stopped a few feet in front of Hiccup. Their eyes met and Hiccup swore his heart stopped.

The last thing he remembered hearing was a whistle before everything turned black.

—————

This was definitely not what you expected in your lovely afternoon, but again life seems to be always be unexpected to you. Today was a warm sunny day, with the sun shining brightly above the clouds, it was a rare thing in Frelsi, the island you and your loyal night fury, Midnight have made home.

So of course, both of you are eager to take a long flight to enjoy it. But what you didn't expect is that before you can depart, Sparky, an orange Terrible Terror came flying towards you in top speed, almost knocking you down if it weren't for Midnight to steady you.

"Woah, woah! Sparky calm down." You said in Dragonese.

Yes, you know how to speak dragon. After six frustrating months of misunderstanding, you finally realized that Midnight was trying to teach you her language. About a year later, you can communicate with dragons easily, which is very useful for dragon rescue missions.

"Breathe in, breathe out." You made exaggerated breath for him to follow. "Now, what happened?" You asked once he calmed down.

"D-Dragon riders. Flying here." He whimpered. Another unexpected thing life decides to throw at you. Your brows furrowed, who could they be? "You sure it's not Valka? Or Heather?" Sparky shook his head.

"How many?"

"Six."

With that you let go of Sparky and put on your helmet that conceals your identity. Whoever they are, you are going to find out if they're friend or foe.

—————

You watched calmly as the group of intruders fall unconscious to the ground, mentally thanking the Poison Darters that hid in the trees. Their dragons quickly stood above them in defensive stances. Something about their riders seemed so... familiar.

"Stay back!" The night fury growled. You quickly got out of your shock that there was another night fury in front of you and cautiously stretched both your hand towards him.

"Hey" you said softly in dragonese. "Im not gonna hurt you or you riders." The dragons were looking at you surprised and skeptic, surprised because you know their language and skeptic for... well, obvious reasons.

"Then why are our riders unconscious on the ground then?" The blue Nadder asked angrily, narrowing her piercing yellow eyes.

"I only knocked them out for the time being, they'll be fine. You are the intruders to my island, so if you don't cooperate I may not be so welcoming." You stared them down, the dragons surrounding the intruders stood in defensive stances again, making it clear that it was not a joke.

The intruders' dragons looked at each other. Finally, the night fury said, "We will cooperate, but if you hurt any of us or our riders" his words were followed by silence and a glare, a silent threat.

You nodded. "You have my word."

'Thor, what am I getting myself into.' You thought as your dragons carried the still unconscious riders to your jail while Midnight led their dragons to the stables.