7 years later

7 years later...

"HICCUP!" Astrid bursts into the hut, almost tearing down the poor wooden door off its hinges with her strength. "ARGH!" The said person fell off the chair he was previously sleeping on, startled. "Were you staying up all night again?" Astrid narrowed her eyes, her arms crossed paired with a terrifying glare that could rival any dragon. "N-no, of course not. It was very comfortable." Hiccup quickly stuttered out while rubbing the tiredness out of his eyes, not wanting to receive another lecture from the terrifying blond viking.

His friend reptile though, decide to choose violence today and nodded his head vigorously. Astrid raised her eyebrows. "Thanks for nothing, you traitorous reptile." Hiccup sighed, glaring at the dragon. Toothless just gave him an adorable gummy smile in return. If Hiccup wasn't angry then, he would surely be cooing at his friend's adorableness.

"What's wrong?" He quickly changed the subject, looking back at Astrid. "Trader Johann is here." Astrid had just finished her sentence, but Hiccup had already mounted Toothless and flew out the door. They flew to the docks where the rest of the villagers were gathered around a man, quickly followed by Astrid on Stormfly.

"Trader Johann!" He called out, catching the trader's attention.

"Ahh, Master Hiccup. It's great to see you." The trader waved his hand in greeting.

"And I to you too. Is it possible we can talk privately after trading?"

"Of course, I shall be with you shortly"

Johann quickly completed the villagers' trade while making sure no one accidentally blow his ship up, *cough the twins cough cough*. He then followed the anxious dragon rider to his hut, with Toothless trailing behind them curiously. "What do you think they could be discussing so privately?" Fishlegs asked Astrid, eyes following the pair. "No idea." She replied, eyes in the same direction.

The pair had noticed their friend's unusual behavior every time Johann came to visit, but decided to stay quiet about it. Hiccup isn't a secretive man, but no one can crack him when he wants to be. Besides, him being one of the most stubborn viking doesn't help. So they decided not to confront him about it, trusting that he would come to them when he is ready.

"Who cares? Look I'm Tuffnut." The attention quickly shifted to Snotlout who was wearing a blond wig with two thick braids hanging on the sides. Ruffnut gasped while placing her hands on her head in panic.

"There's two of them now!" She shrieked in horror.

"Idiots" Astrid sighed, facepalming while Fishlegs shook his head, disappointed.

Meanwhile......

"Have you heard anything?" Hiccup asked impatiently. He has been waiting for the trader's message for months.

"Indeed I have. Two more dragon hunter's ships were attacked. Everyone on the boats were slaughtered brutally. Many believe this to be the work of the Night Rider."

Hiccup listened silently. The Night Rider, as commonly known, appeared five years ago. Rumors said that they can control the dragons and make them obey their every command. Though after taming and training a dragon himself, he knew those rumors were simply yak dung, unless they are a dragon themselves, but every sighting always involved a rider on the dragon's back.

He had a hunch on who the rider was. Every sighting had revealed the same pattern, that the dragon was as black as the night, as if it's the spawn of lightning and death itself. Hiccup knew that this nickname usually applied to Night Furies. And the only other Night Fury he knew was Midnight.

Which possibly makes the rider, Y/n.

"Do you have a chance to know where they could be residing?" Johann scratched his beard. "Hmm, I did overhear some sailors saying they avoid a particular island. They say that the island is full of dragons of every kind, even the rarest. If any dragon hunters dared to venture towards the island, their boats would quickly be shipwrecked by tidal dragons. Sometimes, they can hear a sharp voice, like something cutting through the wind, then a black figure would emerge from the island and to the sky."

Bingo!

"And where is this particular island?" Hiccup blurted out in excitement. He can finally find Y/n, he can finally find his best friend after 7 years. "They said that it would take at least two weeks to reach while sailing north from the archipelago." Hiccup glanced at Toothless. "We should be able to reach there in one." He mumbled to himself.
_____________________________________________________________

"So you want to form an alliance with THE Night Rider? THE legendary dragon rider?" Snotlout asked. After the discussion, they walked back to the docks and Hiccup bid Johann goodbye. As soon as Johann stepped on to the boat, Hiccup mounted Toothless and gathered the gang into the great hall.

"Well, yes..."

"Why though?" Fishlegs asked. He was already a bit scared yet intrigued by the idea.

"The Night Rider is famous for their brutal kills. Going there willingly is basically asking for a death wish." Snotlout added.

"Yes, I know. I know they are. But their kills are always dragon hunters, we're on the same side. And yes I may not agree with their methods, but having them as an ally can help Berk a great deal."

Apart from him and the Thorston twins, who looked mildly excited at the thought of violence, the others still looked unsure.

"Johann also said there are many rare dragons on that island." Hiccup said, throwing a last attempt at convincing his friends.

"Fine, but if they try to kill us, I get to say I told you so." Snotlout said as he left the hall with Hoofkang. Soon, the only people remaining are Hiccup and Astrid and their dragons.

"This isn't just about an alliance, is it?" Hiccup sighed. Astrid can always tell he was lying.

"I have a hunch" he started

"Of?"

"Of who the Night Rider is." Astrid's eyes widened.

"And you want to risk our lives to follow your 'hunch'?"

Hiccup nodded, suddenly finding the floor interesting.

"Is this about Y/n?" Astrid asked gently, she was the only one who knew Hiccup hasn't given up on finding Y/n. She had personally accompanied him to islands for that reason before. "It just makes sense. The description of the dragon is too similar to be a coincidence." Hiccup argued, ruffling his auburn hair. 

"Okay." Hiccup's head snapped towards Astrid so fast, she thought he was going to snap his neck. "What?" Voice full of disbelief, he had expected her to tell him how ridiculous the idea is, or at least attempt to talk him out of it, even preparing himself for a punch to the shoulder. "Okay. You're too stubborn anyway, you would go alone even if I tried to stop you, might as well have backup." She said with a as-a-matter-of-fact tone.

"If you're so sure of this, then let's go bring her home." She finished with a shrug.

Hiccup threw his hands around her, relieved to know there is someone fully supporting him. "Thank you, for being supportive and not calling me crazy."

"Oh you already are, this is just a bit more than usual." She teased as she hugged back.

"Har har, very funny." Hiccup said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"So, what's your plan?" Astrid asked after pulling away. Hiccup furrowed his eyebrows, " My plan?". "Ya, what? Don't tell me you're planning to just waltz in there and say you know their identity. That can earn you a ticket to Valhalla."

"Of course not. Don't worry, I'll figure it out, I always do" he replied confidently. Little did he know, whatever plan he made would fly out of the window when they arrived at the island.