Book 4: A Leaf in the Wind

Start from the beginning

Korra: Yeah, but I don't know why. The other elements came so easily to me, but every single time I've tried airbending-

She sticks out tongue and makes a raspberry as the accompanying noise. Erects herself again and puts a hand on her hip; annoyed.

Korra: Nothing.

Tenzin: That's perfectly all right. You just need to be patient.

Cut to a back shot of Korra as Tenzin starts to roll down her stripped up sleeves.

Tenzin: Often the element that's the most difficult for the Avatar to master is the one most opposite to the Avatar's personality. For Aang, it was earthbending.

Korra: Yeah. Well, I'm about as opposite an airbender as you can get.

Cut to a broader shot as Tenzin turns to resume walking, smiling softly.

Tenzin: Let's begin your first lesson.

Korra stares dumbfounded at Tenzin's back. Switch to back shot of both Tenzin and Korra as they climb some stairs. As the camera moves up with them, Tenzin's children come into view.

Ikki is jumping excitedly up and down while clapping her hands; Jinora stands solemnly in the middle; Meelo is vividly waving at the upcoming duo. Behind them, there is a circle filled with several wooden gates, all standing in a different direction. The elemental symbol of airbending is applied to every gate.

Ikki: Korra's gonna airbend! Korra's gonna airbend!

Korra: What is that contraption?

The scene switches to a back shot of the three children as Korra and Tenzin pull up. Korra gazes in awe at the airbending tool.

Tenzin: A time-honored tool that teaches the most fundamental aspect of airbending. Jinora, would you like to explain this exercise?

Switch to a more far off shot, revealing part of the gates; she walks closer. Camera pans to the left, revealing the full extent of the gates as she talks.

Jinora: The goal is to weave your way through the gates and make it to the other side without touching them.

Korra: Seems easy enough.

Ikki: Jinora forgot to say that you have to make it through while the gates are spinning.

Cut to a shot of Tenzin's boots as he walks up to the gates and takes on an airbending stance. Switch to a frontal shot; the camera pans up as he twists and turns his hands. The scene freezes on his face for a moment when he elevates his hands above his head.

The camera quickly moves back to include the gates in the shot the moment Tenzin thrusts his hands forward, releasing a burst of air. His coat flaps in the wind, and the gates start to spin rapidly. The camera switches to an aerial shot of the events, moving forward to the gates, now all spinning. Briefly switch to a side shot of Tenzin as he tranquilly holds up a leaf, before switching to a shot from his point of view, the leaf held between his thumb and index finger.

He releases the leaf and gently moves it toward the gates with airbending.

Tenzin: The key is to be like the leaf.

Scene follows the leaf's movements as it reaches the gates and starts to flow through them.

Tenzin: Flow with the movement of the gates.

The scene follows the leave swirling and twirling, never touching the spinning gates. Cut to a side shot as it emerges on the other side.

Tenzin: Jinora will demonstrate.