n i g h t m a r e

Start from the beginning

"I used up all my energy in the morning worrying and now I'm tired." She mumbled out with her cheek squished against his large chest.

A breathy laugh left Draven's throat, "How 'bout I make lunch today?"

She looked up at him with a questioning eyes. "Since when do you cook?"

"You'd be surprised at what I can do." Was all he said and she planted her face back up against his chest, deciding to accept his words.

She was glad she had received Miss Marigold's validation. Her opinion mattered the most to Fayette.

One bridge crossed, she thought.

When the evening rolled round Fayette had been slumped in an awkward position on the couch watching tv for, taking the lazy day Sunday saying literally. Draven heated up their leftovers from lunch for dinner. He successfully proved his cooking abilities, having whipped up a mean pot roast earlier.

Just when Fayette thought he couldn't get any better.

He returned soon after, holding plates filled with food and calling her to the table.

"I wanna eat here." She said.

Draven went along with it and sat back beside her on the couch and handed her the plate. "Sit up properly." He spoke before handing her the food. Fixing her posture and straightening out her hair, the nymph dug into her food, knowing she was going to knock out shortly after even though she did absolutely nothing that day. And Draven would be with her tonight so she was in luck.

"Did you know," Fayette began as she smacked her lips a couple times as she chewed. "That mantis shrimps have way more colour receptors than humans?"

Draven only stared blankly at her.

"Bet'cha didn't know that, did you?" She said with a raise of her brows as she ate another forkful of food. "But it's also like," She continued, causing her mate to turn towards her again. "Why do they get so many and we don't. I love shrimps and all, they're so cute. And they can also be really tasty. But like, I'm pretty sure they can do fine without that many colour receptors don't you agree?"

And of course, she continued to talk his ear off for the rest of dinner but Draven was used to it by now. He didn't mind.

Today had been calm. Sometimes that was rare because Draven had to be away and working with his subordinates in hell. She was tense whenever she was away from him, so she appreciated the moments she had when she was by his side.

When they were both done with their meal, her demon mate pulled her into his warm embrace as the movie continued to play.

As expected, she was drifting off.

"Are you falling asleep?" Draven had said in joking exasperation after he had commented on the movie and heard no response. "No!" Fayette replied, forcing her eyes open and trying to stay up. With a teasing chuckle, Draven stroked his mate's hair to help her fall back asleep.

She wasn't sure how long she ended up being out for but she remembered Draven walking up the rickety steps of her stairs before placing her in bed, slipping in beside her.

A faint groan left her as she reached out for him.

"Shh," She heard Draven whisper gently, caressing her head and planting a kiss onto the side of her face.

She was lead to believe that the sleep that was awaiting her would be good and fruitful and it had at first, but half way through the night a terror filled dream appeared behind her eyelids.

It started off right there, in the bedroom.

It was raining out, heavy. The harsh slamming of the raindrops against the windows had woken her right up.