Chapter 17

My eyes peel back slightly, and the pounding in my head becomes more prominent as I let more light in. What happened? I search my head for something, anything, but come up blank. Maybe I just came home after school yesterday and zonked out... maybe. I can't decide wether to go downstairs or not, but after a moment of hesitation I heave myself out of bed and shuffle towards the door. When I go to reach the door I look down and see that I'm wearing the same clothes I wore yesterday...weird.

When I get downstairs I'm more than surprised to see Ashton, Lilly, and Cam sitting at the bar stools in the kitchen. I quietly walk in and I swear, it got more quiet. I shrug and go to look in the pantry for food. When I look up I find the cereal, and I reach up and grab it and continue to get my cereal together. Meanwhile, the three give me brief glances and look back down. What's going on? I almost say it out loud but restrain myself from asking something they'll probably tell me.

"So...Coles," I look up and see Ashton looking at me, wait. Isn't he supposed to be with that cheerleader girl? What's he doing here? "Coles, do you remember anything that happened last night, or yesterday?" I raise my eyebrow at his question. Of course, nothing all that exciti- Shit! My eyes widen as images of seeing him again, and the party, and showing them my scars all come flooding back. I feel the cool Saturday morning air hit the inside of my mouth, and realize I'm gaping at Ashton. Tears start to build up in my eyes. "Oh god, I'm sorry Coles! I didn't think you'd freak out this much about the party..." He moves in to hug me but I shake my head and start gasping at air. As I move back I run into a glass of water at the corner of the counter. The glass rocks forward and I watch the water spill over as glass shatters at my feet.

"Shit," I mutter. Flashes of the beatings I had endured for this kind of accident plays on repeat in my head, my whole body starts shaking. "I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry, please don't hurt me!" I bend over and cover my head, tensing in anticipation for the blow.

"Oh Chloe, I'd never, ever, hurt you." I look up reluctantly and see Ashton's concerning and regretful pools of eyes peering at me. My gaze drifts to where Lilly and Cam were, and I see them retreating into the living room, giving Ash and I space. "Chloe, look at me.." I gaze drifts back to to him. "I would never hurt you. Please believe me," I feel my head nod once and I start to get up. "Here, lets go sit down. Lilly, Cam and I wanna ask you something," He takes my hand, and for the first time, I don't flinch.

When we walk in, Lilly and Cam are sitting on the leather couch comforting each other. I offer them a look indicating I was sorry. 

Lilly immediately comes to me, and I slightly adjust myself further away from her. "Chloe, you have nothing, and I mean, nothing to apologize for. I'm just worried about you, you know me! I've always been the worrier of the two of us." She smiles at me and I can almost feel my lips twitch upward.

I take a seat in the plush chair diagonal from everyone, away, yet close enough to be engaged. Ash sits across from me on the other side of the couch, in a chair similar to mine.

"Okay, Coles. We need to talk about what happened yesterday. I know it's going to hard, but I know something happened, and I bet it wasn't something that happened yesterday. Cause even though you are a different person now, I can still tell when you're acting strange." He gave me a sloppy smile, and I felt my heart jump. Wait, jump? It was nerves...yeah...nerves.

I leave that subject and focus on wether I should dive into this...I can't involve them in this..They have no idea what his capabilities are, he could kill them! I take a deep breath and say calmly, "I have no idea what you're talking about," I whisper. 

"Coles, please. I know you aren't telling us the truth. Please just tell us what happened." I shake my head at Cam.

 I make my exit and go to my room to change. When I close my bedroom door I can hear the voices downstairs begin to get louder. Shutting them out, I grab my grey sweats, a white t-shirt, and my white converses. As I walk downstairs I pull my hair into a messy bun and quickly make my escape.

When the door closes behind me, I look up to see the once beautiful blue sky is now contaminated by ink looking clouds. I guess today is going to be a dark one.

As I walk to the bookstore my phone begins to vibrate. I look down and see that Ashton is calling me. Pressing answer, I put the phone to my ear.

"Why didn't you let me drive you!?"

"Because, Ashton, I don't need you guys to babysit me and watch me everywhere I go! I have survived these past three years all by myself. Plus, I don't like how differently you guys treat me. If nothing ever happened, you wouldn't think twice about letting me walk five blocks to the book store,"

I hear him sigh before answering, "That was before you escaped from a psychopath who hasn't been caught yet. Look, Coles I hate to make you scared of the world around you, but until he is found I need you to listen to us!" He had a point there...But with this information now at the front of my head I become more queasy, before I answer him I see the book store in the distance.

"I gotta go, I made it to the store. I'll call you when I'm done." I hang out before he can answer and walk in to the papery infested smell of the book store.

I've probably spent my fair share in here. So far, I've helped Mrs. Mudstone with re-arranging and I've read three novels. I look at my phone and see that it's already 6:30 PM, I've been here for six hours... I guess I should head home. Neglecting to call Ashton, I make my commute home.

As I begin to walk a small weight begins to appear at the bottom of my stomach... I know this feeling...the feeling of doubt and uncertainty. The feeling that all hope is lost and I have no where to run or hide. I slowly turn towards the source of the chills running up all my arms and spine.

"Missed me Princess?"