Chapter 12

Lilly and Cameron won't leave me alone. I still haven't spoken a word, other than the few times I sing to myself in my room. Ashton is still hanging out with that girl, and only gives me a few glances a day. I never thought that seeing him with someone else would hurt so bad, I already don't eat that much, and this whole deal is making it worse. Everyday I try to choke down more than a piece of toast, but having this and the way I was fed for two years is hard to get through. I guess old habits really do die hard.

Today I'm finally getting to walk to school by myself. Everyone has been slowly giving me my space, so I would label this progress.

I'm still getting nightmares but I have a feeling those don't just die out...but I'm dealing. Mom and Dad kind of expect it each night so when it happens they sometimes don't bother to come check on me. Brandon had to go back to school so he's staying at his apartment.

I take a deep breath and lug myself out of bed and grab a pair of ripped jeans and a ratty Pink Floyd T-shirt. I slip my feet into my converse and grab my backpack to head downstairs.

My father sits at the table with a newspaper and coffee while my mom is at the stove making eggs. The scene would look completely normal to anyone who didn't know our backstory. However, to me, the air in here was suffocating, and it wasn't the grounded coffee beans or burnt eggs.

"Morning pumpkin. Do you want some eggs?" My mom asks as she turns to me. She's still trying to get me to answer her, but considering this wasn't a life threatening situation I just grabbed an apple and waved it in my hand while walking out. "Are you sure? You don't eat too much. Maybe some eggs would be good for you," pretending I didn't hear her I continue on the path to the door.

I know I'm being rude, and I love my mother but I'm still adjusting to the fact that I still have a mom. I don't remember how to show affection, all the affection and compassion I felt was beaten out of me. I wince at the memories and pull open the door while taking a bite of my apple.

"Wait! Chloe! Remember. If anyone weird comes up to you or you feel out of place while walking to school, call us. Please." My mom stands in the doorway with her hands bracing the frame. I give her a slight nod and start walking again. It isn't till i meet the end of the block when I hear the door shut.

School is about ten blocks away, so I had a while of walking before getting there. But I didn't mind, being outside has always made me feel better. That's probably why being cooped up had such a big impact on me.

My walk went on for another three blocks until I felt slight chills travel down my spine. My instincts are never wrong. I knew when someone was watching, it may be paranoia but this was all too real.

I slowly turn around. And what I saw made my apple core fall to the ground along with my stomach.

There he was. Just across the street.

My heart beats became so loud it felt like the vibrating bass at a concert. And like that sound, I bet everyone could hear it, if there was anyone else on the street.

His grey eyes pierce my wide vulnerable ones, and I feel my knees give out. The corner of his lips tilt up in a satisfactory smile when he sees me fall to my knees but before he can cross the street to meet me, a familiar car roles down the street.

Ashton.

I run out into the street, and luckily he stops.

"Chloe? What the hell are you doing in the street? I could have-" he stops when he sees my panicked eyes. I run to the passenger side and jump in, closing the door behind me. I check the rearview mirror, and blink a couple times. Oh god he's still there. Oh god. Oh god.

"Drive." My voice comes out hoarse, Ashton looks at me in shock, so much shock that he does exactly what I saw in a heartbeat.

"Chloe, what's wrong? What happened back there?" I look at him and realize that he can't know. They'll think I'm crazy. I think I'm crazy. I shake my head and shrug my shoulders, as if it were nothing.

"No it was something Chloe. I've known you all my life and I have never seen you so frightened, your skin is all pale and your eyes are completely void. Please Coles tell me what happened. Did you see him?" I stiffen when he mentions him. "You did didn't you? Coles we have to call the police." I just shake my head in response. 

My heart was still knocking like an obnoxious solicitor on my ribcage. But I keep I deep, barely, calming breath and head to class with my troubles weighing me down more then I thought it would.

Ashton's POV

The minute I wake up I feel anxious, my wolf is agitated. A knock on my door interrupts my train of thought. "Yes?" 

"Alpha there are reports of a rogue on our land, would you like us to engage?"

There hasn't been a rogue sighting here in over two years, I doubt it's anyone with ill intention. MY wolf becomes more agitated at my thoughts. "Just to be safe, try engaging but wait till sun down they could just be passing by." Rogues aren't always as bad as they are portrayed, some just don't want to be apart of a pack, and I'm not one to judge a persons lifestyle if they aren't harming anyone. There is only cause for concern when they overstay their welcome. 

"Yes Alpha." I nod and begin getting ready for school. Maybe Chloe will talk to me today, I have to try and spend more time with her. I don't want to push her but I feel like without trying to get her out of her comfort zone nothing will change or improve. I make up my mind to make the attempt to reach out to her today. Being so close yet so far from her as been eating me up. It isn't as bad as her being completely missing, but it almost is. The Chloe I knew is gone, she's missing. I understand that things will never be the same, but I can hope? I still love her. 

As I get in the car I make the choice to go passed Chloe's house, her parents mentioned that they would be letting her walk alone today and even though I have guards on her I feel like I need to be there. I pull onto her street and see her at the end of the street on her knees. What the hell?

Hey Mike, what just happened with Chloe? I mind link one of the head warriors. It's his shift today to watch out for Chloe.

I don't know I can't see what she saw. He mind links back. What the fuck?

As I approach where she's at she runs out in the middle of the street! I slam on my brakes and look at her in fright. My stomach drops as I see her completely torn expression. 

"Chloe? What the hell are you doing in the street? I could have-" I stop when I see her panicked eyes. She runs to the passenger side and jumps in. I stare at her with confusion. Why is she looking behind us? I turn to look when I hear the most beautiful voice that sends chills down my spine. 

"Drive." I look at her in shock.

"Chloe, what's wrong? What happened back there?" I look at her and see a series of emotions run pass her eyes. My wolf starts to rumble in the back of my head. Who has the fucking balls to mess with MY mate? All Chloe does is shakes her head and I watch as all emotion I saw before dissipates.

"No it was something Chloe. I've known you all my life and I have never seen you so frightened, your skin is all pale and your eyes are completely void. Please Coles tell me what happened. Did you see him?" I see her stiffen. Fuck he was here "You did didn't you? Coles we have to call the police." she only shakes her head in response.

I look at her and debate how to handle this. How am I supposed to get rid of this fucker if she won't tell me shit? I don't want to scare her or drive her away from me, so I mind link Mike again, check the surrounding area for anyone suspicious.

Yes, Alpha.