T E N

Tonight was not like any other night before. No, for this evening Kirey'a and Miles took to the forest, alone on his newly claimed Ikran. Riding the clouds and soaring through the winds of Pandora, enjoying the view from above together. With Kirey'a sat against Miles' front and between his arms that wrapped around the tsaheylu antennae of the Ikran.

       This moment, filled with serenity with her arms reached up high, the cool air whipping against her fingers and the setting sun radiating off her skin. Kirey'a leaned back into Miles, her hair brushing against his shoulder.

      Down below, the Tree of Souls came into view. Surrounded by masses of natural rock structure in the shape of a rib cage. Making the scenery seem so much more holy.
Kirey'a pointed toward it before bringing her hand to her heart with a soft smile.

      Soon they landed before the glowing roots. Kirey'a jumped from the Ikran and very excitedly skipped closer to the illuminating tendrils. Taking a cluster into her hands and running them through her fingers in a silent greeting to the Great Mother.

    Miles appears next to her, the two sharing looks before Kirey'a grabs his hand. "This is Vitraya Ramonung. Tree of Souls. Come say hello."

     His ears dropped almost immediately, his eyes widening as he skimmed the tree in its entirety. For he would agree that even up close, it was a quite breathtaking. So mesmerizing in fact, he could never forget what his past self-had intended for the site so long ago. 

    Miles distinctly remembered waging war against the Na'vi, against Jake. A desire so hot to destroy their most sacred place in hopes to gain leverage over the species. Though now, as he looked to Kirey'a, so sweet and innocent, he could not imagine ever trying to hurt her in such a way again.

     He watched as she attached her queue to the glowing cords, closing her eyes and witnessing her lips grow into the most peaceful smile he had ever seen her wear. He could not tell whether it was the tendrils illuminating her skin and bringing out a ravishing glow, or if it were her expression alone that presented the tranquility. He did know however, that Miles was no longer that man and he would do anything he could to keep her this way. Out of touch, yet in harmony.

      Miles wondered what it was she may be seeing, surely it wouldn't be the same as him. Though curious, he did as she instructed; taking his braid and allowing the tentacles to wrap around the glowing willow.

      Instantly, Miles is drifting far away with sounds of few Terran creatures filling his ears. A dog barking, birds chirping behind a haze of warm tones. Startled, he opens his eyes, expecting to see his beautiful Kirey'a standing before the Tree of Souls.
       Instead, Miles is met with his childhood home on Earth. On the balcony sat birds surrounded by wilted lilies, their pots falling apart with age. The sun basking through the large windows which overlooked the cluttered streets below.

      He could see his mother, young and vibrant as she stood over the stovetop cooking pancakes. Singing a tune from the radio sat on the counter beside her, though it played no sound he was familiar with. Her clothes were matching tones of different greys, an off the shoulder, tattered shirt with a collar dipping down and exposing more of her chest than he would prefer. A thick jacket hanging loosely by her elbows, torn at the seams. A terrible life she had lived, for the short time that it was. 

     "Mom?" He called to her, reaching out across the room.

  Though, a sudden blur zooms past his feet, to which he immediately looks down, searching for the unknown friend or foe. Miles glances around the floor before spinning around to see the same worn leather couch he had spent most of his days on, before him. A familiar looking puppy, propped on the back rest with its tongue on full display, hanging out of its mouth with slobber drooling onto the cushions. Miles tilted his head to the side as the pet whimpered and nudged at his stomach for his hand of affection.