xiii. Salted Wounds

Sagarika visible gulped at his words.

I can kill you and dispose your corpse off in this pond or bury it in the forest. Either way, no one would be able to find you.

The tip of his knife dug deeper, threatening to break her skin. Suddenly, Cameron's stiff lips twitched at the ends and the next thing she knew, he was laughing with mirth, his head thrown back and the knife left her chin.

She looked at him with confusion. Cameron stopped laughing, "My my, princess. You should have seen your face. It was more priceless than your entire jewellery".

The Verma princess now looked even more confused, and offended. She didn't know if his words were of jest or a means of flirting. Nope, it must have been the former.

Yet, she couldn't understand. Just a second ago he was threatening her with a knife and his eyes were filled with bitter rage, but now — he was...laughing.

"Good Lord, you're dense", he taunted, smirking at her face as it immediately morphed from confusion to anger. 

"Excuse me"? She stressed each word, resentment coating her voice.

"Do you actually believe that I would kill you? As much as tempting the idea seems, we have a witness. You're little henchwomen — err— whatever her name is, knows me to be the last person to ever see you and the mere mention of my presence can send your people spiralling."

Sagarika felt stupid. There was no lie in his words, she indeed was dense. If she had ever thought about the existence of Sulekha, she would've rebuffed his bluffs the second he whipped out that damned knife.

But if she had.....would she have felt his alluring closeness.

'Ugh, snap out of it' she mentally scolded herself before narrowing her eyes at him.

"That wasn't funny", her voice was sharp. Cameron raised a brow and titled his head, "Are you sure? Because I found the sight quite amusing. You're quite easy to pick on, you know?"

She groaned, rolling her eyes at him. There was no opportunity that this man could miss to humiliate her. She glanced at him again when a deep sigh left his lips. Surprisingly, a faint smile rested upon his lips rather than a mocking smirk. It made her wonder the thought that might be running in his mind, though she didn't had to for long.

"Allow me to cut straight to the chase, I will help you break of this alliance. No one deserves to be married off against their will — not even you", he said grimly, his gaze trained on the forest floor as he kicked a stray pebble into the pond. 

She watched it skitter across the water before landing on a lotus pad, creating gentle ripples in the otherwise still water body. She knew what he was thinking about.