II. Memories of a dead past

~ April 17, 1848

~ April 17, 1848

"Sagarika, please, it's almost time for the angrezis to arrive at court", a frantic Sulekhadevi shouted through the closed doors of a Princess's chambers.

 Sagarika Verma, the Princess of Rangarh ,was trying to shut out the voices of her lady - in - waiting by stuffing her ears with a giant pillow. Sulekhadevi finally managed to pry the doors open and strode in with a frown marring her soft features.

 " Rajkumari ji, what are you doing? The angrezis might arrive any time now and you're here throwing tantrums like a small child", she chided a woman in an elegant gold and black lehenga, seated on a corner of the bed.

 " What a happy way to celebrate one's birthday. Those horrid angrezis are the perfect addition for my official arrival at the court", Sagarika grumbled with a frown matching that of Sulekhadevi.

Sulekhadevi sighed as if she had heard this argument before and explained in a much softer tone then earlier.

 " I understand your grievance , Sagarika but what can we do? If we don't abide by their laws then our kingdom will fall into the same ill fate like Oudh, Chittor and those other fallen kingdoms. Only the gods will know the time when we'll attain azadi".

The doors again burst through only this time it was the Prince Of Rangarh himself, Rajkumar Neelsingh Verma. 

 " Is she content yet"? Neelsingh asked in a huff. Sulekhadevi bowed her head in his presence and replied, " No, Rajkumar ji. The Princess is reluctant in meeting the angrezis".

   " Bhaisa, I don't crave to see their chalked up faces so you can tell father to proceed the meeting without my presence", Sagarika snapped and crossed her arms over her chest.

   " Sagarika please listen! I am the future of Rangarh and if the angrezis find anything that might offend them then Rangarh is almost considered dead! They might augment the price of the taxes, besides it's said that the angrezi officer stationed hither is new to here and we might not but be on our best behaviour as we no nought of this officer. Anything might offend him " Neelsingh explained in an exasperated tone.

Sagarika rolled her eyes and said, " That's Wonderful". At this Neelsingh and Sulekhadevi shook their heads at her adamant behaviour.

 Neelsingh almost lost his cool at his younger sister's antics but calmed down after seeing Sulekhadevi's stern look.

 " Please, at least for my sake or better yet...for Hindustan's sake, you must arrive at court. This is something you'll never hear me say .... I'm begging you"! Neelsingh clasped his hands into prayer position and pleaded with his sister in a mocking manner.

Sagarika rolled her eyes whilst letting a small smile play on her thin lips, she agreed to come to grace the angrezis with her royal presence , as she proclaimed, just for her brother's sake.