17. Jealousy

Enyo and Levi walked together to Section Commander Erwin's office. They were coming from training where Enyo offered Levi some pointers on how to use less gas. They had been working since six that morning, and at least Levi wasn't rude. He was solemn, but Enyo brushed it off. The first time losing someone was always a shock. Even when they were riding horses the day prior, Levi barely said a word. She still remembered the way the rushing water flashed across his gray, sad eyes.

"While it wasn't raining, the smoke was a much better alternative than the whistles," Enyo said as Erwin sprawled on his chalkboard.

"Yes," Erwin mused. "The smoke is best for distance operations."

Mike walked into the office just as Enyo perched herself on Erwin's desk. He sniffed Levi and with a huff, stood between Erwin and Levi. Enyo rolled her eyes and debated throwing a pencil at Mike...she wondered if she could manage getting it in his pocket without him noticing.

"We have explored only a few miles from the Walls...We have to get further," Erwin grumbled and held up a piece of paper. "This is the map we have of the outside Walls so far. Pathetic. We can't even continue expeditions out there until Shiganshina's cleaned."

"Maybe the Walls are getting bigger," Enyo whispered to herself before saying, "What exactly are we trying to find outside the Walls, Erwin?"

"What exactly." Erwin returned to his desk and flipped through papers. "In other news, Premier Zachary has sent the Scouts word of the Military Ball next week. He also informed that the Scouts cannot plan another expedition to get out of going to said useless Ball."

"Of course I've been to grand balls before," Enyo entered the line with Levi trailing behind her, "just never the Military Ball."

"I've never been," Levi said lamely. "I don't want to go."

"Are you joking?" Enyo wondered as she undid her braid, bright wavy hair pooling around her shoulders. "You have to show face. So people know you're not some kind of enigma."

"Enigma?" Levi grabbed a tray of food and followed Enyo to her table.

"You know," Enyo drawled, studying Levi's puzzled gaze. "A mystery or like...made up."

"I saw you practicing hanging hooks," Hange slid in extremely close to Levi. In turn, Levi scooted closer to Enyo and Enyo nearly fell off the bench as Hange pushed closer and closer. "Hanging hooks are for graduated cadets! Oh wow Levi, you must be crazy strong. Hey, how did you learn to use ODM gear outside of the Cadet Corp?"

"I'm an enigma," Levi muttered. A faint triumphant smirk tugged at his lips when he glanced at Enyo.

Enyo's face flushed when she reached around Levi to push Hange's head away. Her golden wavy hair fell between her and Levi while Hange continued to pester Levi. Moblit sat and held Hange's collar with an exasperated sigh. When Levi called Hange "Four Eyes," Enyo couldn't help but laugh a loud and ugly laugh.

"You're cheery today, Little Eagle." Luke sat across from Enyo and Dieter sat next to Luke.

"Is that really that weird for Enyo?" Dieter questioned.

Luke pursed his lips and grinned. "You let your hair down. It's nice."

"Thanks," Enyo returned his grin, "did you guys hear about the Military Ball yet?"

"Yeah, Captain Dirk told us about it." Luke reached across the table to grab Enyo's hand. "Do you want to go with me?"

"I was thinking we could go as a big group," Enyo immediately said and snatched her hand away.

Dieter covered his mouth after a snort escaped while Luke awkwardly scratched the back of his head. "Yeah... yeah, a group. We should go as a group."

"Yeah," Enyo repeated before she turned her attention back to Levi. "We'll have to make sure you have appropriate clothes for the Ball. Our next day off is Tuesday, so we should go shopping!"

"We all need to get clothes for the Ball," Luke blurted out. "We can all go together!"

Enyo's brows furrowed as she turned to Luke again. "I thought Captain Dirk's squad was off on Thursday?"

"Right," Luke grumbled and shoved potato in his mouth. Dieter had tears streaming down his face from sheer effort to not laugh out loud.

After a few more minutes, Enyo stood with her usual announcement that whatever was left on her plate was up for grabs. She excused herself to the barracks and set her hand on Levi's shoulder, "Meet me at 6 in the ODM shed."

Luke grabbed the partial roll that Enyo had left and glared at Levi. "Lay off, man."

Levi slowly looked up from his plate to see Luke glaring at him with an exuberant Dieter cackling loudly next to him. A vein appeared in Luke's forehead when Levi didn't respond. "Are you deaf? Stay away from Enyo, tiny man."

"I know you're not talking to me, pig," Levi looked back at his food and took a clean bite.

Dieter let out an indecipherable wheeze. "Stop, Luke. Oh my walls did you see when she shot your date down I almost crapped myself."

Luke huffed and elbowed Dieter. Levi rose to his feet and Luke did the same, towering over Levi. "Just stay away. Got it, dwarf?"

Levi rolled his eyes and started to walk away. "Your voice is almost giving me a headache."

Dieter grabbed Luke and forced him to sit back down. Said man fumed and grumpily ate while Moblit and Dieter started to talk about taking a trip to the Night Ladies.

"You want to come?" Dieter asked Luke.

He begrudgingly agreed.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Friendships are brewing!

Leave a vote and comment!