15. Interrogation

"A formal introduction is overdue," Enyo slid her tray of potatoes and cheese next to Levi, "Enyo Aetos."

"I know," Levi snickered.

"And you're Levi...?"

"Levi." He glared at her. "Just Levi."

"Just Levi," Enyo smiled. It was a smile that momentarily brought Levi back out to the expedition and he looked away faster than a titan chasing a swarm of Scouts. "So, just Levi," Enyo's voice pried, "I'm glad to see you decided to stay."

"It wasn't a decision." He pushed his food around. "There's no return after that."

Enyo nodded. There was so much truth in that statement. After seeing what a titan was and was capable of, there was no normalcy. Titan's changed everything. Enyo had thought she was prepared to be a Scout but it wasn't until after her first mission she knew what being a Scout meant. There was no preparation in the world that could prepare you for that hell.

"You're the man who decapitated a titan!" Hange giggled and slammed her tray on the table. Her grin was impish and her eyes were expectant as she leaned toward Levi. "How'd it feel?"

Levi's breath hitched.

Enyo rolled her eyes and pushed Hange away. "How many times do I have to tell ya' people are gonna' start thinking that's your kink, Hange? Sheesh. Down girl."

"Did it burn?" Hange ignored Enyo.

"Whoa, Hange, you're going to be wearing your food soon." Luke set his tray on Enyo's other side. When she looked at him, he winked, "Good to see you made it back, Little Eagle."

Hange looked down just in time to catch her tray from tumbling off the table. Moblit sat next to Hange and handed her his bread. "That's for saving me back there. We're even now, right?"

"We were always even," Hange told him but took his bread anyway.

Dieter sat across from Luke. "Did you see that 20 meter earlier? The thing had to have been possessed."

"I know," Luke shuddered. "It ran right through our squad and didn't even make an attempt at us. We had no idea where it was going."

"What?" Enyo perched higher in her seat.

"There was an abnormal in the left flank," Hange giggled creepily.

Just as Levi stood to leave, Mike slammed his hand on Levi's shoulder and set his tray down. He grunted out a deep, "stay."

Enyo couldn't help but laugh as Levi stared at Mike's hand as if he would jab it with his fork at any minute. She caught Levi's wrist and tugged him back down. "We kill titans, not our friends, Underground."

"You're not my friend."

"Ouch." Enyo pursed her lips.

"The Underground!" Hange leaned forward again. "If you don't tell me about the titan then tell me about the Underground."

"Get thrown down there yourself," Levi grumbled.

Enyo stabbed her cold green beans while Hange continued to excitedly interview Levi. Of course, Levi wasn't really cooperative, but that didn't stop Hange's assault of questions. Moblit pulled Hange by the collar of her shirt and Luke laughed so loudly, the entire mess hall grew more and more lively. It was a rough expedition. They all were. But in a world where they chose to make their own lives short by fighting, they only had a short amount of time to feel sorrow. If they let it consume them, they'd be ridden with grief. Laughing over a cold dinner was the first step in leaving sorrow behind.

Levi couldn't stand the noise. But even he had to agree that the noise was better than the alternative. In fact, there was some tiny part of him that preferred this annoying energetic interrogation than being alone. But he huffed and grumbled along the way. When Enyo's knee tapped against his three times under the table, he gave her a long glance, watching her push her potatoes around on her plate.

Then her golden eyes turned his way and her tanned skin warmed a bit when his steel eyes bore back into hers. She gave that bright damned smile and he scowled, breaking their gaze.

Enyo stretched and rose. "I'm beat. Whatever's on my plate is up for grabs. See you guys tomorrow!"

Levi followed Enyo with his gaze when her hips swayed lethargically as she walked. In fact, a few people were watching Enyo leave. Levi's brows furrowed when Enyo paused at the Section Commander's tables to whisper something to Erwin, and the large man gave a curt nod. Then, Enyo disappeared.

Luke whistled. "I'm going to marry her one day."

"Sure, right after you confess," Dieter stuck his tongue out.

Levi watched the two men bicker back and forth. Dieter told Luke he was a complete fool and pansy who'd never get the courage to tell Enyo how he felt, while Luke pathetically claimed that he was waiting for the right moment.

"Are there clocks in the Underground?" Hange inquired. "What about your perception of night and day? Did you even care about night and day?"

Levi abruptly stood and left Hange, who called questions after him as he left the mess hall. His shoulders were tense and he turned down the hall to the barracks. He looked out the window up at the night sky as he walked, stars painting across the night sky like mistook splotches. He frowned. 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Leave a vote and comment!