25.2 The High demoness

Mulai dari awal

"How did she do that?"

"Those who knew her intimately could readily testify that she was unfalteringly keeping her word. Killing the mages was not an option, for Chandrika wouldn't want to enrage Drishtika and risk losing her magic. She rather favored indulging in unsavory practices, starting from building a relationship with Drishtika's son and ending with waging war on the older mage. With sheer subtlety and profound use of magic, Lady Chandrika succeeded in trapping and locking Drishtika's spirit in a specially designed strongroom called The Molten Vault. This vault is what we call our very source of magic."

"Molten Vault?" Rahu asked, ears flushing with excitement but the dark magic ruling his mind, body, and soul drowned the emotion down. "Go on. Explain."

"A beautiful fusion of lava and water- the Molten Vault is said to be a home of a plethora of tales and mysterious happenings. For instance, people whoever born as normal humans went there and returned as mages. The place oozes magic, the magic that defies the natural law, and every law of magic studied in Paramarashtra. Shashi Thribhuvan is the only person we know from our generation, who made an official trip into the vault and returned with magic. It's hearsay though, the truth is best known to him. He also claims that the place shows a fixed event from the past. An event that you most want to see. The reason why he befriended Zarina Khan is to get some attestation of what he had seen. But, Rahu, all you need to know regarding this place is that Lady Drishtika's spirit is trapped in this vault. She is considered both dead and undead. And we channel her spirit in order to draw strength from the source."

"So... nobody went there after Shashi?" Rahu asked, with slight greed and desperation in his voice.

"Technically," said Jyran. "Lava Viewing was another major tourist attraction until the demise of King Harsh's father. Guests preferred to live alongside hosts, and that's how the Clan of Vaquero evolved to live in the vicinity. Everyone wanted to have a glimpse of glowing lava surrounded by water. It was considered safe since there's been not a single case of an erupting volcano. It has been dormant for ages. But then the news broke that Shashi Thribhuvan, belonging to the Clan of Rajya, turned out to be a powerful mage trained by Almourah. Since then the place had been technically self-forbidden by humans. People were convinced that the place was capable of turning normal people into mages. Nobody wanted that. Besides this, many complained about noise nuisance, about hearing screeching sounds, and some of them claimed to have witnessed a shadow of a two-headed giant living in the place. Nobody dared to go inside. It was simply prohibited, officially and unofficially."

"Two-headed giant? Reminds me of Agnidaanav."

"Yes, that is it. The creature never caused any destruction. An entire clan happily resided by the hill which was its home. They almost forgot about the creature until Formation Samagraha fought with it. Its existence only then came to  full light."

Rahu nodded remembering the day they encountered Shashi for the very first time."Let's get back to Lady Drishtika. So why take all the burden of leaving her undead? What happened if she dies?"

"Magic will be lifted off from this country forever," Jyran said, as a matter of factly. "We don't want that, do we? Lady Chandrika did the right thing."

"What if she gets out? What would be then the fate of this country?" Rahu wished he could feel the sense of greed in his voice.

"Every human today would be turned into a mage," Jyran said, his voice turning rougher. "That's her lifetime goal. And she would attain it anyhow only to take revenge on Lady Chandrika."

"The Maiden's cup is only one of the keys with the potency to unlock the Molten Vault," said Shashi.

One of the keys to open the Molten Vault? Maiden's Cup, was it? The cup that belonged to Leena, the cup that required her ability to operate? Ability! That's right, that's the actual key! There were four more such abilities chosen by the Firsts to pass down. That twin, the prisoner who Hayden punished, didn't he mention the Third Eyes? So what are they- the Cup, The Shaatrumani Stone, The Pride? Tyrell gasped. So that was why Shashi was hell-bent on acquiring the dagger. He wants it to open the Molten Valt. He wants to release the spirit.

Oh my god! Tyrell hyperventilate, He held a fist against his mouth breathing heavily and not letting any sound escape. The ritual, he decerned, had always been a word of warning. The Third-Eyes of the Pancharatna would release the spirit of the High Demoness into the country. Shashi Thribhuvan was on his mission to turn every human into a mage.

Tyrell was so baffled and infuriated that he wanted to scream. A few sparks escaped and crackled at the tips of his fingers.

"I held onto the Maiden's cup since then," Shashi continued. There was a click and clank as if a tap on the glass. Tyrell frowned at that. "But only knowing about the cup had me thinking about its importance. Everything about the Molten Vault was so tremendously exciting. About Lady Drishtika and her unique flair for transitioning humans to mages. About the rest of the keys. Rest of the Third-Eyes. Only the Pride was out of bounds. But I almost had it. I had it, mother. With the girl's support, I'd have already released the spirit by now."

A red mist descended and Tyrell felt his insides burning, anger bubbling so hot in him.

"Mother, I can imagine it so well," Shashi said. "The mages shall rule this country instead of some old dirty drunk Kings. Nobody needs to be scared of the Clan of Rajya anymore. Nobody needs to be indecisive about whether or not to use magic. No Samagraha needs to shoulder the burden of the country. How exciting is that, Tyrell Kissler?" 

----------------