Chapter 44: Stronger Together (First Draft)

Hellion Port is known as the third largest fishing port in all of Rhyne, not to mention one of the largest trading ports in Doctrine. Reef was particularly excited to read in the Wyrmwood Express's travel guide that Hellion Port contains ships capable of passing through the Icri Sea to Belladon, home of the tieflings.

That being said the thing Reef was the most excited for was the smell of the sea. Sure, he vomited up sea water every now and then but it was nothing compared to the salty air. Best of all, somewhere in this city was a tavern known as the fish barrel. The woman whose father she couldn't remember worked there. Cassandra Nott.

The moment the train had stopped, Reef wanted to get a move on, his mind couldn't think of anything else. He was here. When he was a prisoner on that pirate ship Hellion Port seemed like a fairy tale, but know he was here! But unfortunately, his friends decided to slow him down.

While Gray, Fourzen, and Kag got the horses, cart, and Kintyra, Galan and Kohrok spent a little too long speaking with the conductor. When they returned their held a golden ticket. The conductor couldn't offer them a monetary reward for their heroics, but Koh was awarded with a golden train ticket, which was essentially free V.I.P train rides throughout doctrine.

As the party moved through the city, they noticed a festival was being set up for that very night. Gray and Koh seemed excited by the concept but Galan reassured Reef that they would find this Cassandra Nott as soon as possible. Reef asked around, essentially any person that would talk to him of where the fish barrel was.

Eventually they found a stable and headed to the docks where the fish barrel was located. The entire time they traveled Gray seemed to be distracted by the festival lights. She started asking everyone what they were like, having never been to one herself. Unfortunately, neither had any of them.

The alluring scent of all the different food stalls kept distracting them. Everything was deep fried or sweet. Gray specifically noted some bombs that were lying out. Reef informed her they were fireworks and continued. They all wanted to get Reef to Cassandra as soon as possible so they could explore the summer festival.

Reef could tell that they were all anxious to enjoy the city. He didn't want to do this alone, but maybe it would give them a chance to relax after everything they've been through. They eventually found themselves outside the fish barrel. "If it's alright with everyone." Reef started. "I'd like to meet Cassandra alone."

"You don't want company?" Galan asked.

"It's not that, I just... well." Reef stuttered.

"You wanna let us have fun." Galan raised a brow.

"... Yeah..." Reef admitted.

Gray gave Reef a big hug. "Thank you! Guys I saw them launching melons from catapults over this way." Gray cheered dragging Kag and Fourzen away, bringing the pets too of course.

"Good luck buddy." Galan started to go toward Gray and her excitable whirlpool, then he noticed Koh not moving. "Ya coming Koh?"

"Oh, no." Koh said plainly. "I don't think any of us should be alone incase there is another Spriggan incident." Koh placed his hand on his sword hilt. "So imma keep you company Reef."

Reef couldn't help but smile. "Thanks!" he cheered.

"Oh gods." Galan cursed. "I think Gray is trying to steal that person's hat." Galan chased after the chaotic druid. "We'll meet back here later tonight!"

~

Gray wasn't lying when she said she saw a melon launcher. The goal of the game was to fire a melon at a scarecrow off in the distance. The winners got some melon plushie, but that's not what Gray wanted. The melon plush had a small fake crown on it, it was all she could see.