Chapter 13: Magician

LOKI'S POV

I felt my heart pitted at the sight in front of me. Leon was standing next to me, shovel in paw. It looked like he had attempted to dig up the corpse in a hurry...I could quickly tell with all the scattered dirt in different directions.

"N-No..." I could only mutter. The feeling was horrible...why would anyone want to do this again?

"S-Shit..." Leon sucked a sharp breath through his fangs. The jackal turned to face me with a saddened grimace. "I-I couldn't do it...I couldn't dig him up in time."

"It's...it's okay..." I managed to regain the breath I exhaled to reassure the Lucario. "You did your b-best..."

I still can't stop shaking. My mind wants to be the stronger person and reassure Leon about his vain attempt, but my body wants to run away. If I weren't in shock, nothing would be stopping me from crying...but I guess I should take advantage of that situation.

"O-Okay...we need to warn everyone else, right?" I initiated, earning a small hum from the jackal.

"Yeah...just...look for whoever was nearby." Leon heaved a long sigh. "It was very recent."

"Right..." I shuddered and dashed around the shed.

To think this would happen again...I don't know what I expected. There will always be someone ready to betray us all, I just have to be mentally prepared for it.

THIRD PERSON

It only took about five minutes for Loki to warn nearly the entire mansion about the recent death. Everyone had gathered almost immediately at the back of the specified shed.

The following reactions were easily expected; screaming, arguing, etcetera.

However, there was one question that lingered in one of the Pokemon.

"This is weird..." Rayne frowned at the corpse below her—which had been taken out of the casket temporarily. "Something about this feels so off."

"What do you mean?" Vanta tilted his head at the Manectric.

"Is he...really dead?" Rayne turned to glare at the Lucario next to her. "You said it was incredibly recent, right? Maybe there is someone who could save him?"

"Unfortunately I am not a doctor...but I can sense when someone is dead." Leon returned the frown as his gaze lowered to Vince's body. "And he is dead. There is no life force emanating from him."

"I see." Rayne backed away and kept her stern glare on the jackal. "Then Leon is the culprit."

A sharp pause cut through all the noise in the group.

"W-What..?" Grace stammered, clearly affected by the Greninja's death. She was only starting to get to know him better—after all, she was the only one who even remotely knew Vince. "How?"

"Yeah, what the hell are you on about?" Sherwood—to everyone's surprise—was the next person to come to Leon's defense.

"I thought it was obvious." The Manectric scoffed and turned to the Greninja below her. "Last time we had a murder occur, there was an announcement that played whenever we found the body."

"So?" Inu crossed her arms and waited for her answer.

"Where's the announcement now?" Rayne turned to the sky. "She definitely has speakers loud enough for us to hear outside."

"That's right, actually..." Vanta sat on his haunches to place a thoughtful paw on his chin. "She also wouldn't make that announcement on someone who's alive."