Chapter 10 - Night Thoughts

Ricky opened his eyes slowly as he put his hands to his head. He remembered talking to Mr. Correll, but he didn't remember coming to his room, much less his bed. He thought of EJ and his thoughts stopped. EJ. EJ and Lily. He jumped out of bed and ran for the door.

The dining room of her house was crowded with people. His dad, Mr. Correll, Marco, Lina, Vicky, Diego, and EJ were there. The first to approach was EJ, but Ricky stretched his arms out for EJ to move away. The senior took this as a warning and walked away taking a seat again next to Vicky. Ricky looked at everyone in the room.

Once the adults realized that Ricky was okay, they left the place and only three people remained: Mike, EJ, and Ricky. Mike got up and handed Ricky a cup.

"It's tea son, it'll do you good," said Mike.

"Babe...can we talk?" Ej asked fearfully

Ricky looked at him and slowly shook his head. EJ wanted to go over to him and hug him, but he made no move. He nodded, said goodbye to both Bowens, and walked out the door, but not before stopping and shouting an 'I love you' to Ricky.

"Dad..."

"Not now son" replied Mike

"So it's true?"

"Yes, your mother won and you will have to move, that's what the law dictates."

Ricky left the cup on the table and ran to his room. He changed into thicker clothes and left his room with the intention of going out skating. Mike knew it was useless to stop him so he said nothing. Ricky came out of his apartment and started skating.

His mindset was the destination and his legs obeyed him pushing the skateboard swiftly. On the way to his destination, he felt a tear run down his cheek. He wiped away the tear and continued skating until he reached his planned destination.

He got off the skateboard and ran to the building. He went inside slammed the door shut and threw himself on the floor screaming and starting to cry. He was right in the spot where he and EJ had their first kiss. All in the dark with no one to interrupt, but now his mind had nothing else to think about but Lily.

The memory in his head of him kissing EJ turned dark as he imagined Lily holding EJ's hand in that darkness. He felt sad and betrayed by the man he trusted the most, and not just EJ, but his dad.

"Fuck!" shouted Ricky hitting the ground hard.

He stood there crying for a while until he decided to go outside and see what was going on in the outside world. He had spent so much time in his mind that he no longer wanted to go back there. He walked out of the building and distinguished music. He approached and saw two people being enclosed in a circle. It was a dance battle. He smiled, but he didn't have the heart to watch anyone dance or support anyone so he took a seat on the floor away from everyone.

He saw several people laughing and chatting while he sat alone on the floor with his back against the wall. In the distance, he saw a shadow approaching him and had a vague idea of who it might be. An old man who had been wandering around these parts begging for food.

The shadow that now had a body sat next to him. Must be some salesman, I don't want dope to thank you very much, he thought.

"I don't want anything, I'm fine thank you," said Ricky.

"Oh, all right. I didn't want to sell you anything, but you look lonely this night" replied the other.

Ricky knew that voice. Logan, why does he always show up when EJ does something? Is he EJ's lawyer or something?

"Hi Logan, did you come here to apologize for EJ?"

"Excuse me... what are you talking about?"

"You don't have to lie to me, I already know."