𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩

Start from the beginning

"Anything?" Dale asked, looking over at the brunette.

"All clear." She gave him a smile as she handed the binoculars back to him, moving closer to the edge of the rv to make sure Carl was still there and she smiled a little upon seeing the kid, he drug a yellow car across the ground making a sound close to the sound a car would make. She hated that this was his life now, but at least he was alive and at least he could find a little piece of joy in something like a few toys.

"You alright?" Dale asked and she looked over at him, wiping at her eyes that had started to fill with tears.

"I knew his dad." She mumbled, looking back at the kid. "He was like a brother to me and I hate that he lost him. He was a good man, one of the best." Dale smiled small as he reached over and placed his hand on her arm, squeezing a little for comfort. "Um, I'm gonna go for a quick swim, take the kids. Let 'em splash around for a little bit."

"I think that would be nice." He smiled at her and she nodded before making her way over to the ladder and climbing down the back of the rv.

"Hey, Carl." She called the boy over and he made his way towards her. "Wanna go for a quick swim?"

"Yeah." He grinned. "Can Sophia come, too?" He asked looking over at Carol who sat with the little blonde girl.

"I'll look after her." Charlie gave the woman a smile, but it faded when Ed - Carol's husband - walked over. "Why don't you come, too? Laundry's washed up for the day."

"No, um, Sophia, you can go. Got stuff to hang." The older woman told her daughter, who smiled as she joined Charlie and Carl, the boy had grabbed the older girl's hand as they walked through camp.

"They can come, too." Charlie offered, looking over at the two Hispanic kids and their mother. "We won't be long." The woman nodded and the two kids grinned as they rushed over to join them and they all made their way towards the quarry.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ "THANK YOU." Carol smiled over at Charlie as the younger woman pulled her wet hair up into a messy bun. "Sophia had a great time."

"She's a sweet kid." Charlie told her.

"You're good with them."

"Always liked kids." She shrugged. "And I helped raise Carl, I was thirteen when he was born and Lori let me babysit all the time. I loved it."

"Ever thought about having any of your own?" Carol asked.

"I did." She nodded. "Before all this, now, bringing a kid into this world. . . doesn't seem right to me. Maybe if all this ends and I'm still kicking, but that's not likely."

"You never know." Carol offered a kind smile and Charlie nodded, returning a smile. Though she wasn't so sure, a lot could happen and she would put her own life on line if it meant saving those she cared about.

"It's late. They should've been back by now." Amy huffed as she paced not far from where Dale and Jim - another guy in the group - stood in front of the rv. Dale was checking the hose which was more than a little damaged and it meant that it was pretty much stationary until they could possibly get a new one. But they didn't plan on leaving, so it wasn't a high priority.

"Worrying won't make it better." Dale told her and Charlie patted Carol on the back before making her way over to Lori, smiling a little as she passed Shane and Carl. Shane was teaching the boy how to tie knots but before she got close to the woman the C.B radio buzzed.

"Hello, base camp. Can anybody out there hear me?" The voice asked and Charlie was the first one up the ladder on the back of the rv. "Base camp, this is T-Dog. Anybody hear me?"