21

Photographs of Charles and I after qualifying are circulating around the internet, the headlines mimicking my very thoughts, are they more than just friends?

I flick through them and analyse how I look at him, wondering if it's similar to the way I look at Lando.

More to the point, I can see how Charles looks at me, and he's looked at me that way every day since we met, but I've only seen it a handful of times on Lando's face.

Charles would be good for me. He would be loyal and fun. And I know he would worship me, but I don't know what it is. It's just not him.

I see a text message come through at the top of my phone housing Lando's name. It's a picture attached to a written text.

I click on the notification to bring it into view and see one of the photographs I had already been starting at previously.

Just friends? - Lando

I shake my head in annoyance.

What difference does it make to you, Lando. - Evelyn

I see the three dots of his reply tease me for a moment and then disappear. Repeating this action two more times before they cease completely.

He can't reply.

I open up my photos album and scroll past the podiums of Max to find the pictures I took of Lando and the ones I took of the both of us from Monza.

Selecting one that I had already sent to my favourites. I tried to take a selfie of Lando and I together, but he wasn't prepared for it. The picture resulted in my arm around his shoulders, me smiling into the camera but Lando looking at me, and he has the look on his face that he used as an example of what I deserve.

I send that picture through to Lando.

Charles and I are friends, I'm trying to figure out what this is.

I comment it. Because it's true. I feel like he's strung me along and played so many mind games. What makes it harder is that, I know exactly how I feel about him, but it can't control how he feels about me.

I didn't know about this picture - Lando

I chuckle at his realisation, the way he looked at me supposedly after he worked out this had to end. But his face doesn't show that. It shows the beginning of something.

Yeah, crazy that you almost look happy - Evelyn

I can feel myself getting angry again about everything so instead I turn my phone off and leave it. I'll deal with him later.

It's so nice out, and still kind of early. So, I decide to leave my phone in the room, throw on my red bikini and head out to the hotel pool.

As I tip toe across the cobblestone, it's dead quiet out here, all you can here are tiny insects sounding their night call, and a slight hum of the party happening down the other end of the street.

Leaving my towel on one of the daybeds, I take the plunge and dive straight into the deep end, saturating my hair and body as I go.

I glide from one end of the pool to the other and let myself float onto my back to look up at the night sky.

It's crazy isn't it. How many people stop to look at the stars each night, from all over the world. It makes this all seem so little when there's so much more out there.

Tipping back over and letting myself float to the edge of the pool, I bring my attention to one of the balcony's that overlook the pool and can see a single figure resting against the railing with what appears to be a cigarette in his hand.

I don't know completely who it is, but based on the silhouette and the slight curl at the top of his head, I have a pretty good idea.

I allow myself to swim around for a little longer before deciding to go back to my room.

"Jesus" I startle as the figure has now moved to the beach chair my towel is on.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you" Lando apologises.

"It's fine" I mumble, taking the towel offered to me.

"I'm sorry" he announces.

I stop dabbing my face dry by his apology and look up at him "for what?"

He shrugs his shoulders and shifts slightly on his feet, "everything, all of it"

I nod in understanding, "so am I"

My agreement throws him off, "Oh" he mumbles

I want to test a theory I've been having, and my care limits seem to be non existent at the moment.

I close the short gap between us and press my lips to his slightly parted whilst cupping the back of his neck in my grip.

He takes a small moment yo respond, the forward nature shocking us both, but it only lasts a small moment before he wraps his still bandaged arms around my waist, pulling me closer and moving his lips with mine.

Tilting my head slightly and using the tip of my tongue to tease his bottom lip, he deepens the kiss and pulls tighter for my body to be as firm up against him.

I am fully prepared for Lando not to speak to me after this, and I know that nothing is going to come of this. But I am thinking that Lando may feel more for me than what he has been letting on.

The electricity that fires through my veins under Lando's touch, seems more intense than before. As I can feel myself getting hot and heavy for him, I need to stop. I feel like I have made my point.

I slowly disengage from him, letting my lips linger above his a little longer .

"Good night, Lando", I whispered to him

"Whoa whoa, Evelyn, what was that?" he asks in a breathily chuckle.

I glance over at him over my shoulder with the Best seductive smile I can give. "That was good night, hope you're feeling better." I give him a playful wink and then continue inside the hotel.

I have no idea what came over me or what made me do that. But I couldn't shake the feeling that there was something more.

Maybe it started as a game, that much I believe, but I don't think he realised he just didn't want to hurt me. I think he started to feel things he wasn't ready to feel.

And that was my point tonight.

Throwing myself onto the bed, the self confidence that I am feeling right now is really overwhelming. I need to control myself before I do something stupid.