20

"Are you here?" Charles asks through the phone when I touch down.

"Yeah, just landed, I'll be out in about 10" I let him know.

"Okay, I'll swing by out the front" and with that he hangs up.

I collect my bag and head for the exit to see his matte black care waiting for me and we make our way off into the Mexican streets.

With only 4 more races until the end of the season, and Lando out of the running for championship, I can feel the vibe is completely different around the rest of the grid.

"How was the US?" I ask him as we make our way through the city streets.

"Yeah alright, I was P2" he informs me with such excitement.

"I was watching the live feed, that's so good Charles" I admire.

"They say Max has secured the championship now though, being that Lando is out?" He says it with empathy lacing his tone.

I nod in agreement. "Yeah, mother will be stoked", sarcasm.

"You okay?" He asks, his eyes never really leaving the road but I could feel them glancing every now and again at me.

"Yeah, I am" and I almost believe it. "Wasn't really a breakup. We didn't get to that stage" I tease.

But it doesn't lighten the mood, "you're allowed to be angry"

I nod in agreement, "yeah I know, and I am, but it's fine"

We pull up to the track as per planned and we make our way down the pit lane. He breaks off once we pass the Ferrari garage and I continue down past McLaren and into the RedBull, fully expecting to have to explain myself, yet mother is no where to be found.

"Hey" I announce as I walk up behind Johan.

He turns to face me, taking off his team radio and embracing me, "Hey kid, okay trip?" I know what he means.

I nod at him slightly whilst picking up the information board. "Looking good?" I ask, analysing the latest data.

"Yeah, he's making some great times at the moment" he comments.

"Happens when you eliminate pressure" I mock.

"Ev," he sounds deflated.

"It's fine" I stop him before he continues.

The drivers are gearing up for practice and Max gives me a quick kiss on the cheek and hug as he makes his way to his car.

I follow him over, helping set up the monitors in front of his view as he adjusts himself into the seat.

"All good?" I ask him as he settles himself down, adjusting his chin strap from his helmet.

"Yup. Ready to go" he signals, the monitors being removed as he pulls out of the garage and into the pit lane.

I make my way over to the pit wall where Christian is sat, climbing up onto the platform and overlooking the latest data.

"Glad to have you back on our team, Ms Verstappen" Christian pokes.

"I was always on your team Horner, don't ever second guess that" I defend.

He gives me a knowing smirk and mumbles something into the microphone attached to his headset.

"How is he?" He asks, I'm guessing at me.

"He's going to be okay" I comment, wondering if he really does concern himself with Lando at all.