03

"Oh my god, Evie?" Her scratchy voice cuts through the crowd and she knows I hate it when she calls me that.

"Maddie, hey" I embody the Verstappen fake and put on my best smile.

She grips both my shoulders with her fake tanned, false nailed hands and plants a kiss on either cheek which I sure has left traces of her 'bubblegum pink' lipstick.

"It's been seriously the longest time. How is your yummy brother?" She dramatically searches for him in the crowd with her hand on her forehead like a sailor.

"Maddie, no, gross. Not with the ones I'm related too". She's annoying, but she's another female on the track who isn't my mother, so she is tolerable.

"Sorry, sorry. How lucky are we to be hanging out with these boys all year hey?" She plants herself on the seat next to me as Johan gives me a polite wave goodbye, knowing that Maddie has claimed her territory.

"Yeah" I chuckle, "lucky us" if only.

"So, how's your night been? I've seen you over here with Johan, are you two a thing yet?" She wiggles her finger at me teasingly.

I have to hold myself together so I don't spit the drink I just took in laughter on her. "Johan? No, definitely not. He's like a brother" I reassure her. "They are all, kind of, like brothers. I've known them all forever."

She rolls her eyes; unable to relate. Because if she thought of them the same way, her actions would be even more questionable.

"Whatever. Do you want to come back to my room and drink with me for a bit whilst I reapply some of this makeup, I just know I'm looking like death right now"

I'm struggling to see how, but I agree to go with her anyway. St Lucia's is just down the road from where everyone stays, and getting her away from the bar means getting her away from Lando. And I'm all for that.

She stumbles a long side of me and I'm starting to wonder if having anymore drinks is a wise move for her.

"Whoops" she sings out as she grabs onto me for balance as she trips over absolutely nothing.

"Are you okay?" I ask, flipping her long perfect hair out of her face.

"Just dandy" she holds one thumb up to me, sort of.

We get up to her floor and she unlocks the door, barging her way in, still stumbling around.

"I'll get the drinks" she calls out as she makes her way to the kitchen.

I walk out onto the balcony and take a look over the edge. Her balcony almost overlooks directly into the patio area of St Lucia's and I reckon if I squint hard enough, I should be able to see Lando from here. Or at least hear his adorable chuckle.

I'm alerted by my phone chime.

Where'd she kidnap you too? - Johan

We are back at her hotel room, more makeup to apply apparently - Evelyn

How can she possibly fit anymore on her face? She won't be able to hold it up - Johan

I chuckle to myself at his message. This is why this kid is my best friend.

Exactly my thoughts. - Evelyn.

I shut my phone off and slip it back inside my handbag. Maddie still hasn't returned with our drinks and I am getting a little worried.

I walk back into the apartment and make my way over the kitchen to where I find her sitting on the barstool, head forward on her crossed arms and snoring peacefully.