02

P1 - Lando Norris
P2 - Charles Leclerc
P3 - Max Verstappen

The entire opposite of the result we needed from today and the mood around the garage right now is dull.

We have to go up to the podium soon and still congratulate Max on his third place, but you just know any sort of celebration is for media purpose only.

Standing down in the crowd, awaiting the results. I can hear my mother already, I knew these comments would come eventually, but I sure hoped she wait til we were somewhat private.

"He's a cheat, he always has been, always will be" "He will do anything to win, even if it's against every FIA rule in the book." "He gets away with it because Zak is so far up their arse"

"Mother" I whisper warn to her. "You don't want the press hearing you" I say it like it's for her sake.

She simply nodes and plasters her fake smile across her face whilst they call Max's name for 3rd.

Like the true sportsman he is, he comes skipping out onto the stage; waving and smiling as if he's standing on first. I do love my brother, because I know he is genuinely happy to be up there.

I struggle to hide my smile as Lando is announced 1st and his contagious smile comes dancing out onto the podium, taking the first place trophy and throwing it high into the air.

The butterflies return as he smacks the champagne bottle onto the podium and sprays my brother, sticking his tongue out to the crowd showcasing that cheekiness the media knows all too well.

The car ride back to the hotel is silent, it always was going to be. Max drove himself her so it's just  mother and I, and god only knows she has nothing to say to me.

"I'll be heading out to St Lucia's tonight with Johan, Max is going down too I believe." I say to mother as her head rests against the car window. Hopelessly staring out into the passing city lights. If you didn't know any better, you'd think an immediate family member just passed based on her behaviour. But no, her son only just won bronze in a Motorsport race.

She barely makes a grunt back at me in response so I whip my phone out and bring up Johans messages

- I'm in! See you at Lucia's - Evelyn

- GET IN GIRLY! see you in a bit - Johan

Upon arrival back at the hotel; I sprint a little too eager up to the room to get ready for tonight. Pulling a short black lace dress out of my suitcase, I throw it on over my head and let my ponytail out.

Observing myself in the mirror, I immediately take the curling iron to my mess of a head of hair and begin formulating some sort of style in my bleach blonde hair.

After placing some strategic barrel curls into where the hair was not cooperating, I dab on a small amount of makeup, coat myself in perfume and spray and almost trip over my heels on the way out.

A little too eager.

Mother is out on the deck smoking a mourning cigarette as I call out my goodbyes before running back out to the elevator.

All drivers and mechanics would have gone straight from the paddock over to St Lucia's but there was no way my track clothes stood a chance against this black dress.

From the outside, St Lucia's looks like it should be a cute coffee shop with its salmon pink architecture and dull brown finishings. But once you step foot inside it's a full on bar, and then out the back is a nice patio area with live music and a bonfire that's placed right in the centre.

Belgium was beautiful and boy did they also know how to party.

"Salut Princess" the all too familiar sound coming from Charles Leclerc summons me from across the bar.

I'd barely made it one foot inside before he spotted me, but I was secretly thankful. Last think I wanted to do was walk around this place awkwardly looking for Johan.

"Hey hey!" I call out as I approach him with a friendly hug "congratulations on your podium, nice race" I really do get happy for the boys when they succeed. Max has been around these same boys since they all started in carting when they were little. So I've grown up with a lot of them and really do see them as brothers. Well, most of them.

"Merci, Merci" Charles has the advantage of being Monégasque so hearing him speak one of his native language makes me smile. He's always trying so hard to speak English to everyone, it's nice to see him comfortable. "Puis je vous proposer une boisson" (can I get you a drink?)

"s'il vous plaît" (please) I know very limited French from what I've picked up from Charles here and there.

He disappears back toward the bar and I take an opportunity to glance around the room to see if I can spot anyone else.

So far, unfamiliar faces. And definitely not the one I'm truely in search for.

"Here you go, everyone is out back, by the fire" Charles returns with my drink, a vodka soda (he knows me so well) and apparently his English.

He grips my other hand and leads me out through the back doors and out to the patio where I am then welcomed by most of the drivers on the grid.

George, Carlos, Lewis, Pierre, Esteban, Oscar and Kevin are all situated around the fire with a beer in each hand, Max and Lewis are over by the buffet tables (of course) waving their plates and tongs around whilst they talk about what I only presume is track design. And then there Johan, makes his way swiftly towards me with a freaked out look on his face.

"He- oof" I grunt as he takes me swiftly by the arm and pulls me back towards inside. "Johan what the hell" I chuckle as I struggle to keep up with his pace.

"Sorry; I just had to talk to you for a minute" he finally explains whilst we are in a quite(r) corner of the room.

"What's going on?" I ask, starting to get nervous.

"I just wanted you to know that - wait - what the hell are you wearing?" He pauses to move himself back, still holding onto one of my hands as he spins me around, admiring my outfit. "Damn girl, when did you get legs" he teases.

"Oh stop it!" I chuckle, but liking the self esteem boost.

"Right well, Lando is here, as expected" he glances behind him before continuing as if afraid someone will overhear. "But he's with Maddie"

And there it was. The moment I had been dreading all season.

Maddie.

Maddie was - the only correct way to describe - was the grid whore.

She somehow followed the team around year after year, as if she didn't have a job herself and managed to sleep her way through the entire grid. I'm pretty sure she's checked everyone off.

But it has been clear since last year that Lando seems to be her favourite.

"Seriously!" I whine.

"I'm sorry Ev"

I didn't have anything against Maddie personally, she was always really nice when we did cross paths. Usually as she was tiptoeing out of someone's room. I didn't agree with her lifestyle choices, but towards me, she was nothing short of polite and kind. She was 5'6, blonde, tanned, barbie doll figured and also had a killer "one of the boys" personalities. It was no surprise she was a hit.

"It's fine. Window shopping remember" I try and be light about the situation, I know I can never HAVE Lando, but I guess when Maddie's around, it takes away even the slight scenario where one day, maybe.

"Come on" I say, leading us back out to the patio, taking an extra long sip of courage from my vodka soda. "Let's have a good night hey?"