Chapter 11: Landon's Family

Start from the beginning

For the first time, Laura looked at the wall where they canvas held its place. "Wow." she said breathlessly.

Lance followed her eyes and saw that she was looking at the canvas on the wall. He stood next to her and said, "Amazing, isn't it?"

Laura kept her eyes glued to the canvas and said, "Yes. They got the eyes just right. I mean, everything about those eyes are exactly the same as my boy's eyes."

Landon heard them and said, "You guys are looking at the canvas again? What do you think, Mom? This is the gift Lauren came to bring me."

Laura's attention was caught at the mention of Lauren. "Lauren brought you this? Did she make it?"

"Yes. She painted it."

"Wow, sweetie. It's amazing. She got the emotions in your eyes exactly right. And she recreated those emotions on a canvas. She has extremely good talent. It's just amazing. I don't know what else to say."

Landon laughed at the words of is mother. They were almost exactly the same as Lance's. He needed to be alone for a while. "You guys, do you mind? I kind of want to be alone with my thoughts now."

Lance and Laura looked at each other then at Landon. Then they nodded and said, "Sure."

Lance walked out first. Then Laura walked out but before she closed the door, she peeked her head back through the door and said, "If you need anything, or want to talk, I'm always downstairs."

Landon smiled and said, "Okay, Mom. Thanks."

Landon waited until he heard the door close completely. Then he went over to the dresser and retrieved the wooden box. Again, he placed it on his bed and opened it so that he could take the pictures out. He looked at them hoping that all of a sudden, the figures would appear clearly. But Then more he tried, the more the darkness greeted him. He sighed and he put the pictures back in the wooden box. Then he put the box back where it had been.

He went over to the window. He felt around until he found the lock. Flipping the lock up, Landon managed to open the window about halfway. Then he passed his legs through the open window, and there he had his own seat. It was something that he had been doing for a while. The feeling of peace and comfort that accompanied the feel of his legs dangling and the wind in his face couldn't be compared with anything else. This was another method of his reflecting and thinking. He closed his eyes and sat there, thinking about nothing in particular. He wanted the wind, nature to bring specific thoughts to his mind. A few minutes later, he heard a voice from across him, saying, "Don't jump !"

He opened his eyes, though there was no use in opening them, since he was always greeted with darkness, and he tried to recognize the voice.

"Please don't jump." the voice said again. The second time, Landon recognized the voice as being Lauren's.

"Don't worry," he said. "I'm not going to jump. This is just my....reflection place. I've been doing this for years."

"Really?" the other voice answered doubtfully.

"Trust me. I know what I'm doing. You don't have to worry about me. I'm going to be fine. Always have been, always will be."

"But don't you feel like giving up sometimes? Don't you ever feel like it's not worth fighting for anymore?"

"Of course," he said, "but I know that my family will always be there with me supporting me. I still have so many things to show the world. I have so many goals in mind. I know that sometimes it's hard. I'm not going to lie but it will always be better to keep trying than to give up and feel sorry for myself. I can't live in pity my whole life. It's something I don't permit."