CHAPTER 37

SLIDE.

You looked at the entrance of the area. There were two large towers on the side of the entrance. Overall the place just looked like a place where highschoolers would attend school in movies.

After walking though the main entrance, you were met by another path that led to the actual building entrance.

The doors were open, and a table sat a few feet from the entrance. The instructions on the white table were per usual, except there were collars. You picked up the last collar and brought it up closer to your eyes to examine it. The only thing that you got out of observing it was that there was a small circular screen on the back. The location of the screen was enough to make you wonder what sort of game you'd be playing.

Following the instructions, you clasped the collar onto your neck. You waited for something to happen, and it didn't take long before something did actually happen. The sound of something generating came from the collar, before it stopped. You took a quick guess that it had chosen something for you before you walked up the stairs to find where all the other members were.

When you actually made it into the central guard room, you were met by at least another 15 people. While you stood at the entrance of the steps, and took a glimpse of everyone that you would be participating in the game with, you failed to notice Chishiya. Of course, you didn;t go unnoticed by the doctor. He was leaning against the wall as he usually does, with the white hood of his jacket over his head. Chishiya knew that you were going to be here, but he just got here earlier than you.

The two of you made eye contact as soon as the PA chimed.

'Oh for fuck's sake.'

"Difficulty level, Jack of Hearts." A TV screen mounted to the wall lit up. "Game, Solitary Confinement. Rules. Guess the card suit that appears on the back of your collar. However, you may not look at the symbol yourself."

Just like everyone else, you touched the collar on your neck instinctively.

"I can't see anything." An older woman said, struggling to change the direction of her collar.

"The time limit is one hour per round. In the final five minutes, enter your cell and disclose your symbol."

The lights to the dark hallways started lighting up, brightening up the hallways which were used for keeping inmates. Each hallway had more than enough rooms for the dozen or two people that were in the game.

If you do not answer with the correct symbol, it is game over. The collar will explode, and you will die. Additionally, when the time limit reaches zero, the symbol on the collar will reset and change for each round."

The bright looking boy beside Chishiya was quick to pipe in. "Wait a second. So that means we just have to ask each other what our symbols are."

He turned to the white hooded man beside him, face only showing happiness. "That's easy, huh?"

"I'm not so sure. They haven't told us what the conditions to win are yet."

"The Solitary Confinement game is about how much you can trust your fellow players."

The screen switched. It now displayed pictures of all the game participants and their names underneath. After quickly counting, you were able to conclude that there were 21 players including you.

"Be aware that your opponent, the Jack of Hearts, has already been placed among you."

"Oh, that's good." You heard Chishiya say.

Another participant started talking. "So, one of us is the Jack of Hearts?"

"How to win. Rounds repeat every hour. You will win the game when the Jack of Heart dies. Prohibited actions. Looking at your symbol with a reflective surface is cheating. Players may not use weapons or violence to kill fellow players."

"This means that the only way this game will ever end is if the Jack gives the wrong answer. So basically, no one here is getting out alive, unless they lie to the Jack" Chishiya explained to the male next to him.

"There is no limit to the number of rounds."

'Well as if this game really couldn't get any worse.'

"There's no limit?" A scrawny middle aged man said in surprise.

"Enough food has been provided. While participating in this game, no days will be removed from your visas."

Chsihiya looked straight ahead, at no one in particular. "So we need to start lying, find the Jack of Hearts, and kill them off, or we'll live out the rest of our days in this prison. Solitary for life."

"The game will now commence. You can roam freely until it is time to enter your cell."

An hour timer appeared on the screen.

"Oh well, my life is definitely gone to shit now." you muttered to yourself, watching as everyone around you got into pairs or small groups.

A stern male that stood near you began. "So, the 21 of us need to eliminate each other until we somehow figure out who the Jack of Hearts is. What makes you think that anyone is trustworthy?"

Despite his words, everyone still broke up into groups. The biggest group was definitely going to be the one where the girl in the blue dress was creating. She was definitely using her naive appearance to get everyone to join her team.

From what you were able to observe from the few minutes you have been in here with these people, you could only be sure about 2 people that were trustworthy. One of them you wouldn't mind going to and asking, but the other could definitely put you into a situation that you wouldn't want to be in. You didn't have any problem going with the happy male from before, Ippei. You knew without a doubt that he wouldn't be able to lie if anyone asked him what their symbol was.

If you really didn't want to go though, you could always go to Chishiya. You knew that he probably wasn't going to lie, but he would definitely put you in an icky place to be.

This of course led you to pick the safest option, Ippei.

"Hey Ippei, do you maybe want to pair up?" You asked the young male who stood beside Chishiya.

His face lit up, but before he was able to answer, Chishiya turned to you and spoke up. "I think that the two of us agreed on just us earlier."

There was a hidden threatening message behind his words, and you caved. "Oh yeah... Sorry Ippei."

Chishiya walked off, leaving you no choice but to follow him.

"So, are you trying to explain?" Your childhood friend asked you.
__________________________
PUBLISHED EARLY FOR YALL

I MIGHT PUBLISH ANOTHER TONIGHT
Vote if you enjoyed the story :)