Almost immediately, the gazes toward Shen Qiang changed and became complicated.

"Fifth brother, you... Although my mother was a concubine, she is also your mother. How could you insult her like this?" Sensing the strange gazes on her, Shen Qiang flustered with shame. This time, her wronged expression was no longer a pretense. Rather, she was uncomfortable to the point of bursting into tears. Who didn't protect and care for her, the number one beauty of the Imperial City? 

And now, not only was Shen Liang directly pointing out her bastard status, he also alluded to her impure intentions. Those who flattered her before now looked at her like a laughingstock. She even had the heart to kill Shen Liang because of this!

"I don't dare recognize the person who colluded with bandits to murder me and then rush over to Zhonglin Courtyard to threaten me to silence as my mother." 

Wanting to suppress him with piety?

Didn't she know to first ask herself whether she had the qualifications? Now that the rumors of Liu Shuhan scheming against him has spread amongst the public, even if he wasn't respectful to her, no one would point fingers at him. After all, wasn't it Liu Shuhan who first severed the bridge and took it too far?

"Fifth brother should speak with evidence. Those years when you lived in the countryside, mother constantly thought of you. When she heard of your return, she immediately prepared and cleaned your quarters to await your arrival. Although the matter with the bandits were indeed part of mother's neglect, who would've thought that Grandma Wei would have that audacity to collude with the bandits? Mother didn't know anything at all." Just as Shen Qiang felt at a loss and was about to cry, a cold male voice spoke up on her behalf. A cold tall man stepped forward and inserted himself between them. Two other men followed. The group were all men in their twenties. 

"Right. Your mother sure did think of me quite often while I lived in the countryside. I lived there for five years and the nanny in charge of household matters oppressed me for five years. She even had the intentions to allow her son to humiliate and insult me many times over. As for whether or not people were sent to clean up my courtyard, I am unaware, but I had just returned, and the courtyard had already been tarnished by people sent by Shen Qiang. This atter was clearly investigated and rooted out by Second Aunt herself. Did I wrong you in that matter too? As for the matters with the bandit, Grandma Wei was the Marquis Madame's personal nanny who had come with her all the way from her maiden family. I had no grudges with her. What purpose did she have to harm me? If you want to say she didn't do it under someone else's orders, I suspect only a fool would believe you. I believe second brother has entered the Imperial college and is prepared to partake the second round of civil service exams this autumn. I can't imagine you to be a fool then."

The person who came was none other than Liu Shuhan's son, Shen Xiao, the second son of the Marquis Manor, who was only a few months younger than the eldest son, Shen Da. He was already twenty.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Not that Grandma Wei and the bandits have died, all the evidence has already been silenced. As long as you yourselves don't admit to anything, who can do anything?"

"Shen Liang, remember your place!" Shen Xiao's eyes darkened as a murderous rage emanated from him. Those who surrounded them couldn't help but feel themselves frightened. 

But Shen Liang seem completely unaffected as his light smile never dissipated in the slightest, "I have always remembered what my place is. But I wonder of wither of you ever did."

Although the two of them could be considered legitimate now, the difference in status between them and Shen Liang was still insurmountable. The original madame's sons would always stand above someone who was once a concubine's. For Shen Xiao to attempt to frighten him under public scrutiny now, it was evident he had already neglected to know his own place and status, or lack thereof before Shen Liang.