Niam - The Babysitter

Start from the beginning

            “Niall?” Liam asked, hoping that this week wasn’t going to be an ongoing cycle of awkward awkward awkward.

            “What? Go ahead, make fun of me,” Niall said, finally looking up to meet the gaze of the most handsome boy in his entire class. He had been in love with Liam for a long time, and his feelings had never once subsided. But who was Niall kidding? He was the most unpopular kid in his grade, and Liam was…well, Liam. Straight A student, captain of the award winning swim team, and president of the student council. He was perfect.

            “Why would I make fun of you?” Liam asked, walking a bit closer to Niall, “I’m not that kind of guy, Niall,”

            “Well, I just figured you’d be like your friends. You know… the ones that call me Toast Boy?” Niall cringed at the thought. Niall would have never expected that silly little incident to spread so quickly, and so violently.

            “No, no, I…” Liam trailed off, thinking back to all the times he had just let his friends bash on Niall and all the times he didn’t stand up for him. With the sudden guilt rushing through him he walked towards Niall and set his hand on his shoulder. “Sorry,” He mumbled.

            “It’s fine,” Niall said harshly, “Let’s just make this week easy, okay? I’ll stay in my room most of the time, and you can, well, you can stay in the guest room. Yeah?”

            Liam just nodded numbly, because Niall was mad at him. And that’s the last thing he ever wanted. Niall left the room then, walking briskly down the hall and into his room, slamming the door behind him, still completely sickened by how bad things had to be for him. As for Liam, he headed into the guest room, setting his suitcase on the bed and settling in.

            Later in the night, Liam knew he couldn’t just avoid Niall all week. He still had to… ‘take care of him’, no matter how awkward it was. Because Niall’s mom had been pretty clear with Liam when she hired him, Niall was precious to her. So, Liam headed downstairs around dinner, rummaging through the kitchen to make something to eat. He finally decided on Italian, beginning to boil water for the pasta and warm the sauce. When he had finished, he walked slowly towards Niall room, feeling unsure and a bit timid.

            “Niall?” He said, knocking gently.

            No response.

            “Niall I made some dinner, would you like to come out and eat with me?”

            This time there was a muffled, “Fine,”

            Liam smiled in success and walked back out into the kitchen to get the plates served. A minute or two later Niall walked quietly out of his room, licking his lips when he saw the food Liam had made.

            “Thank you,” Niall said, grabbing his plate and walking out to the living room to watch some TV while he ate. Liam grabbed his plate, and followed timidly.