Chapter Eight

A hand larger than anything she'd ever known moved to grip her neck. She was lifted as easily as one might a doll. Extended from his body, she hung helpless in midair.

The pain was insurmountable. It surpassed her fear, gripping her in a paralyzing way. Willa gave a distressed cry, closing her eyes as tears welled. They rolled from the corners, trickling down her cheeks.

"I do not wish to hurt you."

His voice was strong and struggling.

"Wh-a," it was impossible to speak under his grip.

He pulled her in, pressing her tightly against warm skin. She was crushed in his embrace, a mouse trapped in the coil of a snake.

Willa shivered, tears soaking into his skin.

"I cannot fight it if you struggle," he whispered, sounding nearly as pained as she. "I- want- to- feed." He bit out every word and Willa tried not to tremble, though his grip wouldn't allow it.

He groaned and she felt the brush of wet fangs over her skin. "I have told you, do not be afraid." Now, his voice grew harsh.

She bit down on his pectoral. "How can I not be in fear when the devil himself has taken me?"

He roared, head back and howling. Willa was tossed down on the ground, the length of her dress pulled up toward her thighs. She tried to press her legs together, but firm hands pinned them open, butterflying the soles of her feet together.

That same weight pressed down upon her and she felt the heaviness of a foreign object pressing against her abdomen.

"In darkness, I shall taste you- claim you- and we shall be one," the dark voice rumbled.