Chapter Twelve

"You look amazing." Eli breathes, looking smart himself in his suit.

I looked down, taking in my dress, a floor length cobalt gown that made my blue eyes stand out. Blushing, I played with the skirt.

"Come on." He extends an arm which I take.

We stroll towards the elevators, squeezing in with the rest of our cast which were all invited to the after performance party. The rest of the students from the other casts were all fast asleep since they still had their rehearsals for the next two shows.

The energy was high and we were all too explosive for the small constraints of the lift. The cast talked excitedly and no one could wait as we rushed to the hall by the theatre that had been converted to a fancy party area.

Eli and I strolled around, constantly stopping to answer questions and take photos. I had left my show make-up on and still looked the part. I was pretty – just for tonight.

"Do you see your parents?" He asks. I looked around.

"There." I pointed to my mother's pewter dress.

"Let's go." He straightens and tightens his grip on the hand I had linked around his other arm.

Father was next to her, his dark grey suit and light blue tie hinting at his vast wealth. My stomach falls and I am filled with rising dread and panic, but Aellius does not let me go.

"Mr and Mrs Harper?" He confirms smoothly.

Mother recognises him immediately.

"Ah, yes, the Prince." She chuckles, linking her arm through dad's to bring his attention over to us.

"I see you enjoyed the show." He smiles.

"Indeed, and who is this?" Mother jokes.

Eli hooks a slender finger under my chin, forcing me to look up.

"Hello, mother, father." I nodded, unsure.

Shock. They gape at me, unbelieving.

"Sweetheart, you look so... different." Father struggles with his words.

"Oh, darling." Mother rushes forward, wrapping her arms around me.

"You've lost so much weight... are you eating well? Do they make you throw up here?"

"Mrs Harper, I am sure you have a lot of questions, but I assure you that Andy has done no such thing." Eli reassures.

Mother stiffens visibly. She nudges dad who leads Eli away.

"Adrianne," She cups a hand around my cheek. "What can we do to make it up to you?"

"It's fine mom, I'm coming home this Christmas. How's Audrey?"

"Perfect as usual. She's just started college. It would be great to have you back for Christmas." Mom smiles.

I wanted to say something, but I could not. Scanning the area, I spotted our director and though that it would be a great idea to point him out.

"Let's go over, I need to thank the man that made my daughter into such a huge star."

"Mother, you're embarrassing me."

"It's my job, isn't it? How I've missed doing it." She chuckles good-naturedly.

I waved her off, moving away to find Eli again.

ϗ

"Andy..." Came Mckayla's teasing voice. I stretched out an arm, clipping her in the nose.

"Andy!" Julia screamed, pouncing on me.

Squealing, I kicked her off and tumbled out of bed.

Rubbing my head, I groaned, "I think we've already established that my name is 'Andy'."

I was not at all a morning person.

Blinking the sleep away, I took their proffered letter.

"It's the scholarship for next year!" Julia blurts out, enveloping in a warm hug.

Mckayla laughed and joined in.

The Winter Waltz was finally over and toady was a lazy day. Everyone was either packing to leave or waiting at the front porch for their parents to arrive. Well, everyone except for me.

ϗ

A frigid wind swept through the brown field of dead grass on the green as everyone held their breath for winter. The leaves had all fallen, littering the ground with their last burst of strength, an explosion of brilliant earthy shades.

Took it all in, the warm hues of the dying plants as they bid farewell to the better months. My chin was cradled by my bony wrist as I leant on the counter, relaxing.

"Can I get a cinnamon hot chocolate?" Eli grins, hopping over the counter to engulf me in a warm hug.

I pressed a quick kiss to his cheek, "Of course."

He wraps his arms around my waist.

"I've got an invitation to dance at the Company of American Ballet, with an immediate promotion to First Soloist if I do."

"That's great!" I replied enthusiastically, but my heart just was not feeling the joy.

"I'm not going to deny it, I don't think it'll work out."

"But it's every dancer's dream – you can't just give it up like that." I argued.

"The thing about these long distance relationships is that they never work out," His voice breaks, "I don't think I can live without you."

I looked down, staring at the thick liquid in the cup I am holding. The power had been completely dissolved, yet I kept stirring. There was nothing to say, and we both knew it.

"Adrianne." Aellius wraps his fingers around my hand, forcing me to drop the spoon.

"What?" I whispered, feeling the comet tail of a tear racing down my cheek.

"I'm not going."

I released the cup in shock.

"Yet."

ϗ

"So he's just going to give it up like that?" Julia snapped her fingers.

I nodded, mutely handing her the shirts that I had helped her to fold.

"But it's a fantastic opportunity! He must be an-"

"Amazing, super-smart genius?" Aellius eases into the room, taking in Julia's mess.

I huffed, sinking down onto the bed as I retorted, "Why would you be a genius?"

Julia rushes to hide her underwear.

"Because I'm staying on with the academy as a mentor, and we," He motions to himself then me. "Are going to train non-stop."

Slumping back, I groaned helplessly. He's back to haunt me.

Julia drags me off her bed, shoving both me and Aellius out of the room. I tripped on her rug and ended up sprawled on the ground. My Fairy Godmother just hauls me out of the room as the prince chortles.

"What do we do now?" I jelly-wobbled over to the couch, sinking into the soft sponge.

"Let's run." Eli grinned devilishly.