Introduction

"That was... tiring." Julia groaned as she rolled out her sore muscles on the roughly-cut PVC pipe that she picked up from the hardware store.

I nodded, dropping into a split, savouring the wonderful stretch in my aching legs. Madame Carolyn had focused on jumps today, draining everyone's energy.

"It should be illegal, you know?" Mckayla points out, typing out a quick reply to her mother's text.

"What should be illegal?" Prompted Julia, fully aware of how Mckayla would constantly drop her train of thought in favour of the application that she had running on her phone.

Throwing her phone into her bag, Mckayla huffed, yanking out her elastic as she whined, "I swear, candy crush is giving me the worst suggestions possible." She rants, running her fingers through her frizzy, raven hair.

"Tragic."

I snorted at Julia's lack of interest, choking a little on my water.

"Anyway, doing jumps for an entire lesson should be illegal." Mckayla yanks out a khaki green, cap-sleeved top from her duffle and pulls it on over her flawless olive skin.

"Where are you going?" My head trails Mckayla as she heads for the studio door with her bright yellow bag that she claimed reminded her of her favourite cartoon character, Bumblebee.

"Home to shower; my grandmother's flying in from Italy. See you tomorrow!" She sprints off, almost slamming the door on her hand as she waved 'goodbye'.

Mckayla was one of the few students who stayed close enough to the school to have that freedom to go home every day. Other students like Julia and I were left to the rooms provided by the school.

Julia unclips her bangs and allows her long golden waves to ripple down her back. She pulls on a floral dress, then helps me zip up my romper.

ϗ

"Wait!" I cried out, desperately dashing to slip into the shared bathroom before Julia.

She yelled a couple of choice words in outrage, pounding on the door.

"It's for a good cause!" I retaliated, washing the suds out of my hair. Grumbling, Julia retreats, possibly headed back to her room.

In the academy, four students shared a dorm, their rooms opening into a communal lounge with a couch and a television. The living room was connected to the bathroom and kitchen. Needless to say, the dancers were incredibly pampered.

After showering, I out on a pair of - accidentally - ripped, bleached skinny jeans and a grey cotton shirt. Pulling on a maroon sweater, I grabbed my phone and room keys before bolting out of the shared dorm.

As I ran, I fought the urge to shiver as the chilly autumn wind made the leaves of the trees surrounding the circular courtyard dance. The empty branches of the trees reached up to the sky, creating a jigsaw of the clouds that foreshadowed a heavy downpour.

ϗ

"Hey, Deacon, was that the delivery guy?" I whispered as soon as I got behind the counter.

"Yup." He smiled, placing the last of the supplies away.

"Charged it to the shop?"

"Don't I always?" He grins.

I ruffle his cropped, brown hair as I moved to wash my hands.

"Andy, can you get that? I need the bathroom." Deacon says quickly, rushing out of the shop before I could even reply.

"What can I get you?" I picked up the permanent marker by the cups.

I ticked off the list as the person barked out the long order. Low-fat, soy milk hot chocolate with no sugar or whipped cream. Smoothly, I took her money and ringed it up on the cash register before moving to prepare the drink.

Hastening my actions, I hurried to prepare the drink then passed it to Jessamin, a dancer who was probably the best in this year's graduating cohort. She was such an amazing ballerina that a teen magazine got her to do a photoshoot and an interview. I watched as she moved, that easy grace an aura surrounding her.

"Thanks Adrianne," She nods, addressing me. "You're the best."

"Actually, I prefer 'Andy'." I informed her, still pleased that she knew my name.

"Well, do me a favour, Andy." She smiled, a slight pull of her glossy lips. I raised a brow. "When you get famous, use Adrianne - it's a lovely name."

I smiled lightly before taking the equipment I had used to the sink, calling for Deacon to wash the utensils. He grumbles but does so anyway as I pull out my homework and plunged into the wonders of calculus.

Then the rain started, falling like a net, ensnaring anyone who was foolish enough to head out onto the open field. I stifled a groan as a couple began their heated make-out session as their clothes clung to their forms.

Beside me, Deacon whooped and when I turned to glare at him, he wriggled his eyebrows suggestively. I scooped up my eraser dust and dumped it unceremoniously into his hair. He shakes it off like a child throwing a tantrum; and when he returned his gaze to me, my stomach folded itself into non-existence and begged for sanctuary.

He growled, "I'm going to kill-"

"Hi, can I get a hot caramel mocha with soy milk?" One of the guys from the year above me interrupts Deacon mid-snarl.

"Soy's all we have." I muttered, typing in his order.

Even before I could snap at him, Deacon was already by my side, putting all the necessary ingredients on the countertop. I thanked him and got to work. Sometimes, I suspected that Deacon was bi-polar.

ϗ

"Here you go." I handed him the drink and a stack of tissues to dry his laptop off.

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it."

"I'm Aellius, Aellius Johnson; but you can call me Eli."

"I'm Adrianne Harper, Andy for short."

"Ah, Andy, Austin's partner."

"You know Austin?" I stood a little straighter, suddenly interested.

"The one and only Austin Summers."