Chapter Four

"How was class?" Austin shoot the moment he sees me enter the sickbay.

"Good. Today was mostly dance technique, dance quality, basically Mckayla's sort of stuff." I shrugged, hunting around for the first aid tray.

His expression was wistful as he spoke, "She must have had a field day." I chuckled in response.

"Of course she did. She waited the entire term for this class." I paused, letting the silence fall upon us. Then I went on to say, "They're using the appraisals to cast Cinderella."

His deft fingers extract the cotton gauze from their plastic packing. He hands the ball over to me. Wetting it, I wipe the area surrounding my toe.

"We better practice then," He hands me the pliers. "I heard that Cinderella was going to have to kiss the Prince." I giggled shyly.

Pinching the protesting, half-dislodged nail, I sucked in a breath before yanking it out. Grinning fiendishly, I 'accidentally' dropped it onto Austin's lap; the bloke did not even blink. What was wrong with this guy?

As I dressed the wound, he watched me curiously. Surely the action was not rocket science to him, or was it?

"What's wrong?" I frowned, my defences rising with my worry.

"Aren't you going to ask me how I'm doing?"

"Austin, you're in a bed at the sickbay with a drip, so I'm going to say 'not well'. I'll see you around." I returned the pliers and all the other equipment to the metal tray, but as I do so, I catch his expression; solemn, wistful, hurt. I instantly felt bad.

"Aussie..." Melting, I began, using my old nickname for him. "I'm sorry, I had a long day." I smiled, the happiness not reaching my eyes.

He just softened up and replied, "Okay."

"That's all?" I blurted – perhaps in relief; maybe in shock.

"Would you like me to sing you a love song to make you feel better?" He smirked.

"I honestly wouldn't mind." I returned his look.

"Well then, I think I can feel the love tonight."

I tried for a pun of my own, "I promise that you'll be in my heart." Grinning, I placed a hand over my heart.

I waved him a 'goodbye' as I left for my dorm.

ϗ

When I got to my hall of residence, I found Julia, Mckayla and Casillith seated at the couch outside with their eyes glued to the television screen as the opening scene began. Squeaking, I jumped onto the couch, grabbing the pillow that Julia was hiding behind. They were watching a horror movie!

"How's Austin?" Julia whispered as the haunting music flared. I shuddered involuntarily.

"He's running a temperature, but-"

Mckayla grips my calf, her cold finger like vices. I let out a piercing scream. Soon the boys from our year came bolting over.

"Nobody move! I've got a Jaxton and I'm not afraid to use him!" Lee Parker, Casillith's dance alternate, bursts into the room with only a thin cotton shirt and a pair of sweat pants. The rest of the boys filed in, their faces worried yet curious. I blushed furiously.

They identified the movie and decided to join up, but I had had enough. Picking up the cushion, I smothered my face as I ducked out of the room. My bare feet sunk into the plush carpet and I shivered against the pillow. How could anyone forget their jacket in autumn?

"Nice PJs." A familiar voice registers in my frozen brain.

"T...thanks." My teeth were chattering so loud that Aellius could probably hear them.

"Come on," He slung his jacket over my shoulders. "There's a party at my dorm."

I stopped, resisting his efforts to push me forward.

"Will there be alcohol?"

"Gosh no; who do you think we are? No drinking when appraisals are this close." He chuckles, wrapping his arm around my waist and leading me on down the corridor.

ϗ

I had probably spent ten minutes watching a heated game of 'Truth or Dare' before my eyelids began to fall. I was dozing off while sleeping upright. Anyone who was looking would have assumed that I was drunk.

Sighing, I rubbing my eyes and made my way to the kitchen where Eli was chatting as he mixed a drink for himself.

"Hey kiddo." His eyes crinkled, signifying that he was smiling as he took a long gulp of the hot chocolate.

I raised a brow at his curious choice. He shrugged, chugging the rest of it down.

"Yours is definitely better." He confessed as he rinsed the mug.

I beamed, intoxicated by sleep. Swaying slightly, I was on the verge of falling asleep while standing yet again. I shook my head vigorously, struggling to maintain my level of alertness.

"Sleepy, huh?" His eyes crinkled again. Hmm... I like that crinkle.

"Let's get you to bed then." He puts both of his hands on my shoulders, steering me out of the kitchenette and his dorm.

ϗ

Once we reached my door, I was fully awake, knowing that something was up with Aellius. He clears his throat, grabbing my wrist to stop me. He looks nervous...

"Andy, do you mind?" He stammered.

"Mind what?" My mind was all foggy up, like a window on a rainy day.

"If I kissed you – on the cheek." His voice was quiet; like a small breath.

"Go ahead."

I shut my eyes, unsure of what to anticipate as he leant in. His warm lips brushed my skin, igniting it briefly before he pulled back; swift and composed.

"I really hope that you get the part of Cinderella... you deserve it." He smiles. Faintly.

ϗ

As he pads back to the 'party', I touch two stiff fingers to my cheek, recalling the sensation of his light peck. Flushing, I entered my dorm, dashing to my room before Julia could catch me.

I tossed and turned, replaying every detail of that magical moment painfully slowly in my mind, reliving it; savouring it.

When I finally drifted off to sleep, my lips were pressed together in a smile. I was falling for Aellius, but I knew that he would be there to catch me; because once I started, the free-fall was going to last forever – and I was going to enjoy every bit of it.