Chapter Three

My heart soars when I see the big 'A' on my paper. I had cleared the qualifying mark by the skin of my teeth, a bare hair's breadth. I had gotten lucky this time.

Miss Rhodes hands me a thin manila envelope with Mr Byron's quick handwriting on a classic, pale post it stuck on it.

May this be a just reward for your effort. It read. I smiled and resisted the urge to snort since I did not study for the test.

One again, Casillith was the class' highest scorer, her almost perfect ninety-seven so far from my seventy-six. Mckayla pats her shoulder, ignoring her own dance – and desk – partner as he grumbles about his second placing. I beam and offer Jaxton Smith a thumbs-up.

"Are you nervous about the appraisals?" Austin, my ballet twin, whispers softly.

"Why would I be?" I frowned, running my fingers along the edge of my paper.

"Haven't you heard?" Austin sounded genuinely surprised. "The appraisals have been moved to next week." He ran a hand through his short, dirty-blonde hair, flustered.

"Well, in that case, I'm going to need a new pair of demi-pointes, another leotard; preferably blue, and perhaps a pair of tights." I listed, writing it on the back of Mr Bryon's post it.

"The boys and I are heading out tonight, want to join us?" Austin invites.

I open my mouth, about to agree. Then I hesitated.

"Who's going?"

"The graduating cohort guys; Aellius, Oliver and Trent. Josh's girlfriend, Rhian, and Aeryn, Aellius' sister are joining us. So, will you be my date tonight?" He grins.

My smile falters. Should I? Aellius would be there...

Austin chuckles, "Relax, I know you like Eli."

"Is it that obvious?" I frowned.

"Well, you act funny around him – more girly, I suppose, so I took a wild guess."

I let out a nervous chuckle. Oops.

"Okay, I'll come. For Eli."

"I'll come get you at seven."

ϗ

After yelling bloody murder at me for fifteen minutes, snapping at every customer in that time frame, slamming each cup that he had washed onto the loud metal rack, baking a batch of cookies, and eating his cheeseburger; Deacon allowed me to go.

He did pout and throw a minor tantrum, and of course I had to check the cups for cracks, as well as apologise to the patrons because he was feeling too guilty to do it himself. However, the cookies turned out perfect.

I called Sarah, waiting for her to come before I left, giving Deacon a roguish wink as I did so. On the way to my dorm, I paid Julia a visit.

ϗ

"... So now, I need to find something to wear!" I was losing both my wits and my breath.

"Okay, Andy, breathe. It's six o' five. Go take a shower, I'll find something. After all, I do want to be the fairy godmother for our next production." She mused, walking into her closet to start digging.

I muttered a 'thank you' before heading for the bathroom.

The shower that I took was probably my fastest as I raced to rinse off whatever junk I had smeared, marinated, and massaged myself with.

When I stepped out of the cubicle, the mirror had fogged up, not allowing me to analyse the desolate state of my face. Pulling on my cream coloured bathrobe, I stepped out of the shower chamber and padded to my room.

ϗ

A cobalt dress and a pair of white ballet flats had been set out for me. Victorious, Julia pulled out the last piece to my outfit's puzzle; a white cardigan. Who did Julia think I was? Cinderella? She was taking her job too seriously.

Smiling softly, I slipped into the dress and shoes, towelling off my wet hair and allowing Julia to fasten a gold pendant around my neck.

I relaxed at the couch, watching the news as Julia braided my hair, weaving the strands into a work of intricate artistry that I was going to struggle to undo later on. Her delicate fingers were feathers, working so gently that I barely felt them.

Austin knocked loudly, yelling my name. I shot up, my panic returning.

"How do I look?"

Julia gave me a quick once over. "Great." She flashes me a grin before answering the door, shoving me out.

"Ouch!" I complained, rubbing the spot on my heel that had been whacked by the door.

Austin gripped my arm. "Can you walk?" He steadied me.

I nodded, releasing my death grip on my poor foot. One foot after the other...

ϗ

Austin's group had already gathered by the counter, takin turns to sign out on the sheet. I just copied Aeryn, plonking the respective information into the tiny boxes.

We took the bus as a group, all hungry for dinner when we got to the small Italian shop tucked away in the corner of the mall.

I ordered a vegetable soup and the rest just opted for any low-calorie, zero-fat item they could find. Such is the existence of a dancer.

"Tired?" Austin sympathised. I smiled weakly.

Shrugging, I replied, "Long day."

"Here." He pulled my head onto his shoulder allowing me to rest.

A few minutes passed before the food came, but I was already feeling better. The team chatted about anything and everything and I eventually found myself joining in.

However, I did notice that Aellius was constantly starting at me.

That's got to be good, right?

ϗ

After dinner, Eli, Oliver and Trent headed off to stock up on food for their dorm kitchen while Aeryn and Rhian left to get plasters and muscle rub ointment; leaving Austin and I to go 'Stage', the ballet shop, on the fourth floor.

"Want to hear a pick-up line? I've been working on it all evening." Whispered Austin teasingly in my ear. I chose not answer, but he went on anyway.

"I don't see the pointe unless I'm with you." He smirks as I rolled my eyes.

"Come on, don't we have history together?" He prods my side. I give in.

"The only 'history' we have is with Madame Thrush, who is going to flay you for that assignment that you didn't hand up."

"Then I guess our chemistry with Mr Fletcher should be enough." He elbows me again, wriggling his brows and making me giggle,

When we enter the shop, I see the sign that had promoting our school's winter production.

Clearly Austin saw it too, he kneels. "I'll be the prince if you'll be Cinderella." He suggests.

"I'll probably be the ugly stepsister. That will always be open." I sighed.

"Please, we all know Aellius and Trent be perfect, and Oliver could understudy." My serious façade falls and smashes into smithereens on the ground as I laugh.

Picking out my shoes and tights, I pay for them then rush out of the shop, late for the meet-up with the rest of the group.

We spent the rest of the ride back to the academy with twice the amount of noise we made on the trip to the mall, lighting up the dreary bus with our good cheer.