Chapter One

"Three and four – carry it to the back!" Madame Carolyn screeched, effectively scaring me. I jumped as she grabbed my leg, her long nails digging into my leg, forcing my poor limb higher.

I bit my cheek, trying to ignore the pain as her claws buried herself into my thigh. When she dropped it, the muscle cramped up, forcing me to bend over to nurse it.

"Andy!" I winced, dropping my leg to look meekly up at Madame Carolyn.

"What are you doing?" She hissed.

"Um..." I trailed off, feeling the cramp disappear.

"Americans." She insulted, rolling her eyes.

Then Madame Carolyn called all of us into the centre, starting the turns. The turns of torture.

"Today just had to be turns." Mckayla grumbled.

Mckayla was not a technical dancer – yet, she enthralled you breathless with her dance showmanship. Adjusting her white lace leotard, she stepped into the preparatory position and so did I.

Waiting the three counts obediently, we launched into a big jump, before moving into the quick turns and ending with a flourish. With the final spin, I ended up where I started with my muscles just a little more worn out than usual.

I bent over, resting my hands on my knees, feeling the sweat stream down my back. My favourite leotard was soaked, the straps becoming a bother. I should have worn a simpler one, perhaps the number with the zip-up front and black trimming. I would have been a lot easier to move and-

"Are you alright?"

"Fine, just questioning my poor outfit choices."

"You're pale."

"Gosh, Austin, why don't you go tell everyone their complexion issues!" I exploded.

"If you're on your monthly nasty, just said so." He huffed and returned to his corner.

"Andy! You're up!" Casillith Fletcher waves me into the spot before her, and Aussie takes his place as well.

Without any hesitation, I leapt up onto the blocks of my pointe shoes – thankfully – before starting a series of a mixture of turns that I probably did not get right. However, I suppose my movements were sharp and fast enough to get Madame off my back.

She does not say anything, but Austin pats me on the back. Hard. My aching stomach lurches forward and I resist the urge to thwack my dance partner back.

"Violence is a sign of pregnancy." Austin pipes up as I turn to face him.

"So if I say I'm pregnant... can I claw your face off?"

Austin chuckled as if I had not just threaten to hurt him worse than a splash of acid could.

"Only you, Andy," His grey eyes glimmered with amusement. "Only you." He returns to his corner, shaking his head.

ϗ

"Deacon! Hurry up!" I barked as I served up my fifth drink.

"It's a labour of love!" He argued over the noisy café as he swirled the chocolate sauce around the foamy milk.

"Well I don't love your labour, now speed it up! Move, move, move-"

"Hi, I really need to rush off for class, do you mind?" Aellius grins sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck and looking a little flustered as he adds, "Am I interrupting something?"

He gives a light laugh and his humour is reflected in his eyes, setting off a nervous chemical reaction in me. I force a smile back, grimacing mentally. Oh Andy, you're such a dork sometimes.

 "Not at all, can I get you anything?"

I should have slapped myself. Of course, I had to get him something, if not why would he be queuing?

"A raspberry lemonade." He gets out his student card.

I just had to give it a shot, "Less sugar?"

"Not today – I've got a feeling that I'll need the sugar rush."

I nodded – finally ­– mixing the drink after scanning his card, deducting the credits.

"See you around, Andy." He gives me another grin that makes my knees become pudding as he leaves.

The bell hanging on the door rings out as Eli leaves sipping his drink. I watched him walk, the easy grace of a dancer looking so natural on him. Sighing, I stare out at the green circular courtyard of cafes and shops.

"I'm done!" Deacon proclaims, slamming the cup and saucer down in front of me.

"Well?" I raised an annoyed brow. "Give it to the customer." I prompted, treating Deacon like a child.

"Actually... can you pass it to her for me?" He motioned to the girl seated by the window wearing a navy beanie.

"Lazy bones." I muttered, picking up the drink and placing it in front of the new, younger student – who gushed on and on about how 'adorbs' the latte art was. I took the opportunity to escape while she dug around for her phone, murmuring something about Instagram.

ϗ

"Look Deacon, I need to go." My hands shoved all my books and materials into my cream coloured book bag.

My partner just had to whine, "Why?"

"You know very well why. Sarah should be here soon. Try not to burn down the place." I warned.

"I make no promises."

"Oh and remember, the microwave is done when you hear the 'ding'!" I yelled from the door.

"I know!" He shouted back, causing our patrons to crack up.

I giggled as I dashed out of the little shop. I was going to be so late...

Pushing my sore legs, I poured on the speed, racing to class. The chilly wind hurt my nose and burnt my lungs, but I pressed on. Come on, Andy. 

ϗ

I barged in about ten minutes late, announcing, 'I'm here' at the top of my lungs. Then I noticed the oppressive silence and furrowed brows. Oh, we had a-

"Test!" Miss Rhodes hissed. "Be quiet, Adrianne Harper!"

Great, she know my full name...

She waved me to an empty desk, shoving my paper into my chest as I walked passed her. I left out a huff of air, but remained walking. There's no stopping me!

Then I looked through the test.

Snap.

Tests were incredibly important to me since they meant everything; my results decided if I would still receive my scholarship. Grounding myself, I picked up my pen and started on the paper.