First Day

Jacob's POV

Even though Spoons High School starts half an hour after my old school, I still have to wake up an hour earlier— probably because the car ride to school takes 15 minutes, at least. I guess I'm lucky that I'm just old enough to drive a car, but this is still driving me nuts.

So, my eyes were just barely staying open as I pulled on a t-shirt (it was already almost too small for me, annoying parts of being a werewolf) and made my way into the living room. My dad was in his wheelchair, making me breakfast.

I sat down at the small table. "Y'know, you don't have to do that."

He just looked back at me with a small smile. "I won't do it every day, don't worry. It's just for your first day of school, since it can be a bit nerve-racking."

My dad was a beta through-and-through. He had a tendency to forget that I didn't get nervous about mundane things like this, and at this point, I've stopped trying to remind him.

I looked out the window as I waited— a foggy, cloudy sky once again. I could see just the tiniest droplets of rain coming down from the sky and oozing down the window.

My plate of eggs was set in front of me.

"Thanks," I said, quickly scarfing down the food. 

--

I was quite happy that Bella was already parked at school when I arrived, her black hair framing her face as I walked up to the picnic table that she was sitting at.

Her smile was wide as I sat down across from her, my bag hitting the wood with a thump.

"So, what am I supposed to do?" I asked, tapping my fingers on the table.

She cleared her throat, pointing towards the front entrance of the school. "You should go to the front office, that's where they'll register you and give you your schedule and stuff."

I nodded, getting back up and starting to walk over to the black-painted doors.

I rang the bell at the front office desk, waiting for someone to come out. A secretary in a plaid shirt sat down in front of me, looking me up and down. "Jacob Black?"

I nodded begrudgingly. God, how I absolutely hated how many people know my dad. Was everybody going to recognise me? That would absolutely suck.

Edward's POV

It was Alice's turn to drive. We had this whole system— each person got a different day of the week, although we all drove the exact same, and Monday was Alice's day.

She kept side-eyeing me through the rearview mirror, as if her very stare would convince me to consider her Bella's best friend; I had already forgotten his name, because it wasn't going to work out. There's no way I would risk that, no matter how attractive he was.

I was more than grateful when we arrived at the school, immediately hopping out the door.

Alice had her hand on my shoulder before I could escape her into class.

I glared at her.

She sighed. "Look, you can't judge someone just because you don't want to be with them." She was acting like I was the problem?

I shoved her hand away. "Yeah, I wonder who's fault that is."

"Look, I just want to—"

"Alice." My fists clenched. "I know how badly you want to, but you can't play matchmaker with me. You know that, and especially trying to get me with a werewolf! Carlisle would absolutely murder me, just like he would murder you after he found out how in love you are with Bella."

She flinched away from me, her eyebrows pinching in hurt.

I couldn't find it in myself to care at that moment, instead speedwalking my way to trigonometry.

Jacob's POV

I stuck to Bella's side as much as I could, between and within classes, and the day had so far gone decently. A couple weird looks, a couple admiring ones, but it was okay.

The cafeteria was packed when we got in. Apparently it was normal, since Bella already had her typical fake smile on and was making her way over to the line to get food. I followed her, watching the stares follow me— whether that was because I looked so much like my father or because I was generally a big guy, I didn't know.

I followed her to her table of friends; she introduced them all to me, but I tuned it out along with all their useless small talk.

I had something more important on my mind— I could smell vampires.

Which shouldn't be shocking, considering literally the whole reservation had warned me about the group of vampires, the Cullens, who went to this school, but it's hard when you've got this completely pungent smell in your nose at all times.

Except there was one that stood out. It almost smelt like... lavender? It couldn't possibly be one of the vampires, but no human has a perfume that strong.

My eyes searched around the room, landing on the vampires. Their stark-white skin was hard to miss, so hard to miss that I was surprised that none of the humans were even suspicious.

And then, much too suddenly to turn my own gaze away, the one with blond hair turned around and looked right into my eyes.

His topaz irises swam with something unmistakable.