Chapter 1

Fritz

The carriage drove slowly along the bumpy roads. Fritz had not seen his half-brother Paul for a long time. Too long. Near the village where Paul lived, was a large hospital. Under the pretext of personally checking on it, he was now on his way to his brother. He had already visited the hospital in the morning. The staff was stressed, and the funds were a bit tight, but otherwise, everything was fine. Medication for the disease, which had plagued them for almost three years now, had to be reproduced. Unfortunately, the production was expensive, and the price could hardly be lowered.

He had given the guards who usually accompanied him a day off. Nearly nobody recognized him here and he wanted to keep the visit secret from the queen. His coachman was also free. Instead, he rode one of the local carriages.

"Hold on!", cried the coachman. "The road is damaged. It's going to be uncomfortable!"

Fritz sighed.

Paula had stayed in their villa. Together with her two children. Two-year-old Loelia and eleven-month-old Nino. Both children looked like their mother, but they had inherited Fritz's green eyes. The queen didn't know anything about them yet. They had managed to keep both pregnancies a secret from her. How long this would go well, he did not know. Paula was worried about the safety of her children, who always stayed with Paula's parents when Paula and Fritz had to go to the castle.

He looked out the window of the carriage. In front of him lay a barren landscape. He could see the mountains of werewolves. Their territory was close. Then, finally, the carriage drove into a small, seemingly poor village and stopped in front of a small house, with a tiny front yard. The house was old but in good condition.

"We're here!", shouted the coachman. "Should I wait? Or are you staying longer?"

Fritz got out of the simple carriage. "I'll stay longer thank you. I would be grateful if you came back in the evening. Around seven?"

"Of course. But, that costs extra."

"That won't be a problem." Fritz paid the coachman and went to the small house where his half-brother lived with his family. He knocked excitedly on the door.

It took him some time to hear footsteps. A pretty woman opened the door. Behind her stood two identical-looking toddlers. Two girls.

"Are you Valentina?", he asked. "My name is Fritz. I'm Paul's brother."

The woman blinked. "Fritz? Prince Fritz?"

"Yes, exactly. Is Paul at home? May I come in?" He looked at the clothes of the woman and the two children. They were simple and somewhat tattered clothes that had been mended several times.

"Yes, of course. Paul is still in the bakery, but he should be here soon. He always closes around this time." She pushed the two girls aside and held the door open for him.

"Thank you very much."

The house was simply furnished, but it seemed cozy. He followed Valentina into a small living room where a little boy was playing with two wooden horses in front of a fireplace."

"Amaury?", his mother said to him. "Please say hello to our guest. This is your Uncle Fritz. Daddy's brother." Her gaze wandered briefly to Fritz. "May I introduce you like that?"

Fritz nodded. Of course, she was allowed to. They were family.

The boy, Amaury, looked at Fritz curiously. He was Paul's image, while the two girls had inherited Paul's nose, but otherwise resembled their mother.

"Hello", the boy said shyly, then returned to his game.

"Sit down, please!" Valentina pointed to the sofa. "Would you like tea? Or some pastries? I have cake there. From yesterday. Oh!" She pushed the two girls in front of her. "These are Ava and Aleidis. They are two years old. Amaury is three. Amaury? Please play with your sisters. I'll get tea and cake!" The girls looked at Fritz and tilted their heads synchronously. He blinked irritated.