Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

I opened my eyes quickly, gasping as if I had just taken my first breath of air. Grayson stood over me with wide blue eyes. As soon as my eyes met his I pushed myself up and into his arms as I began to sob loudly. I didn't care how loud I was being, I was just relieved that it was all just some crazy nightmare. Grayson wasn't dead.

"Its okay Leah, I'm here. It was just a nightmare little goddess", he said softly as he held me tight and held my head into his shoulder and began to rock us after he had situated us comfortably so I was straddling his lap.

"You died, I thought I lost you", I whispered as I held onto him tight. I took deep breaths of his cologne and willed my body to remember this feeling of his warm skin against mine.

"I assure you I'm very much alive. You almost gave me a heart attack though. I was coming back from grabbing your gift and cupcake, and when I came in here you were screaming my name repeatedly and thrashing like crazy", he breathed.

"It was just a nightmare", I sighed, hugging him tightly one last time before pulling away. Grayson kept eye contact with me as he placed my hand over his heart. I could feel his strong and steady heartbeat underneath the faded dark brown shirt.

"I'm alive Leah".

"You're Alive Grayson", I responded back, which caused me to calm down and smile.

It was just a nightmare. Everything was okay.

"Now that that's out of the way", Grayson began with a smirk before crushing his lips to mine fiercely. I squealed in surprise at first before I let myself melt into it. His hands held each side of my face as he moaned into the kiss.

Shit, I love when he moans. I love when I can hear what I do to him and how I make him feel, it's such a turn on and drives me completely insane.

"Happy birthday little goddess", he said between our kisses. He gave one last kiss to my swollen lips until he pulled away and placed a yellow gift box in my lap.

"I know we're gonna see each other tonight but I wanted to give you your gift  before I have to leave so you can start getting ready for the ball soon".

I opened it and gasped loudly as tears came to my eyes. In the box was a beautiful necklace. It was a gold horizontal bar necklace with 'little goddess' engraved on the front and 'your Gray' engraved on the back in beautiful cursive.

It wasn't huge or gaudy, Grayson knew jewelry like that wasn't my taste. I was barely a jewelry person as it was. But things like this, small and elegant pieces that were sentimental to me, they were the ones I held dearly. I still had a ring with my childhood dog's name engraved on it in a jewelry box in my bathroom. It had been gifted to me by my parents when she had passed away.

"Oh Grayson... it's so beautiful. It has our nicknames engraved on it", I smiled with teary eyes as he took the jewelry case from me and put it on the nightstand. I turned slightly as he moved my hair for me and placed the necklace around my neck.

"You'll always be my little goddess Leah. Happy birthday beautiful", he whispered softly into my ear before kissing my neck softly. I turned in his arms and kissed him passionately. I had never gotten such a sentimental and amazing gift from any of my past boyfriends before, I couldn't have dreamed of anything better.

The morning probably would've continued going fantastically if my bedroom hadn't been burst through by my best friends who both looked equally livid.

"What's wrong", I asked concerned.

My eyes widened and my heart dropped into my ass as I saw Beck pull out a plain envelope... one with the words 'Leah Hayes' written on the front. But that wasn't even the worst part.