They watched as Lance and Malay disappeared into the cave, and Keith's smile faded and was replaced with worry. He hated not being down there with Lance, a feeling made worse by the pain that was growing in intensity in his abdomen.

Moving to his right, he sat at the control panel for black lion and was thankful when no one said anything.

Malay: Take the tunnel to the left. It is about 100 meters away.

Lance: I can see the glow of the shield. These tunnels look like they were dug by something.

Malay: Yes, they look like claw marks. I don't know of any creature that can tunnel through solid rock.

Lance: Do we have any idea how the bayard got here?

'It's very strange,' said Romelle. 'Zarkon would have been the only one to have access to it, yet it wasn't with the armour when it was found.'

'Where was the armour?' asked Shiro.

'It was here on the ship where you found it,' said Naroc. 'We have no idea how it got here, or why it was separated from the bayard. It must has happened after Allura and Coran went into stasis.'

'They weren't surprised to see it here after they woke up,' Keith said.

'That would imply they had it before they went into stasis,' mused Romelle. 'I will have to ask about that.'

Lance: There it is.

A deep growl could be heard in the control room.

Malay: I suggest we hurry. I don't think we're alone down here.

There was a pause.

Lance: Bloody hell, the shield won't come down. Come on, come on.

They could hear the desperation in his voice, then there was a roar that echoed around the room.

Malay: You must hurry. The creature is getting closer.

Lance: Yep, yep, trying here. Here, take the blaster.

Moments later there was blaster fire, and shrieks from the creature.

Keith wanted to get up and pace, or fly down there, but the pain in his abdomen kept him seated as he silently pleaded for Lance to stay safe.

Lance: GOT IT! Now run.

Minutes later, they shot out of the caves entrance. Behind them was a creature that looked like a furless saber-toothed tiger, but five times bigger. As they ran, more of the creatures appeared from beneath the mud, clawing the way to the surface.

Lance: Shit.

Malay: They're coming from everywhere.

Next thing, Malay grunted and fell. She twisted and pulled at her leg which looked to be stuck in the mud and Lance skidded to a halt next to her.

Malay: My foot is caught in a root. Just go.

Lance: Nope, not happening.

He turned around and as he raised the bayard, and it turned into a canon, and started firing. He blew the head off the first creature, and ripped another in half. This distracted some of the others as they tore at the remains in a feeding frenzy.

Lance turned and dropped to his knees and dug in the mud to try and free Malay's foot.

Malay: BEHIND YOU.

A creature leapt out of the bushes at them. Lance swung the canon around and fired, sending it crashing back the way it came. He then turned back to Malay's foot.