Fireworks

"When I hear 'em talking, I just don't know what to make of it"

Kennedy

I sat on the couch reading a positive pregnancy test. I was in disbelief why did this have to happen?? Alia sat next to me on the couch trying to comfort me.

"Ken this is not the end of the world..you have options," she spoke.

I was speechless I couldn't even respond. I knew I had options but what would be the right choice? The room filled with silence. "Um I think I'm just going to go to sleep okay?" I said to Alia.

"Yeah get your rest, we will talk to tomorrow" she said rubbing my shoulder.

I went into the bathroom and got ready for bed. My head was spinning and million of things crossed my mind. Was I even ready to be a mom right now? I have no place, no money, and no job. I was about to start law school. My baby would grow up without a father cause I know Meech wouldn't be happy about this. This wasn't what I planned when I thought about having children.

I want the best life for my baby and I honestly couldn't provide it right now.

Morning - one month later

"Ken you ready to go?" Alia asked me.

"Yeah I'm ready." I said walking out the house wearing a black hoodie and sunglasses.

"Why are you dressed like that?" Alia questioned

"You never know Lia, I don't want people to see me"

"You right"

Alia drove me to the clinic. I wanted this to end as soon as possible so I can just move on.

"Ken you want me to come in the room with you?" Alia asked. I shook my head no. This was something I needed to do by myself.

"It's okay, thank you for being here with me and driving me" I said squeezing her hand.

"Kennedy Brown" a nurse called out into the waiting room. I quickly got a up. There were only a few other girls here. No one I recognized so I should be good.

I followed the nurse  into the exam room. "So I know your here for an abortion  but the doctor would like to talk to you first about your options and explain the procedure if you decide to go through with it. I'm just going to start off with an ultrasound first"

"Okay.." I said scooting back and lifting up my shirt which revealed my small round belly.

The nurse squirted some gel on it and began the ultrasound. "You see these little paddles here, they may not look like much right now but in a few weeks those are going to be arms and legs"

"Oh.." I said staring at the screen. I really had a whole human growing inside of me. It gave me this weird feeling.

"So that's all, and the doctor will be in soon okay?" The nurse said wiping the gel off my stomach.

"Okay bye" I replied back.

Alia

I sat in the waiting room.. waiting until Ken was done. There was this one girl loud as hell on the phone spilling all her business.

In the past 10 minutes I've been sitting here, I've learned that she has had 3 abortions in the last two months. I'm not trying to judge but damn.

"Ugh what's taking these people so long" she complained. "Excuse excuse me girl right there" she tried to get my attention.

"Yes?" I said giving her my attention.

"You pretty, here's my number call me. The name is Gia"

"Um okay." I said giving her a short answer. I had no intention of calling her or befriending ber.