Chapter 37:

Scarlett's POV

The time went by pretty quickly.

Maya and Carina went back downstairs to help with the patients, while Ali and I stayed upstairs and played a few more board games.

A couple of hours later, we all got in the car to leave. It was really nice today actually.

I was mostly happy.

Thinking about having to leave Maya and Carina made me sad though. So I just tried to push it down.

We arrived at their apartment and Carina went straight into the kitchen to make some dinner.

I decided to take a shower.

I went into my bathroom, got undressed, and turned on the water.

Time for shower thoughts and epiphanies!

I thought about online school for a while. I would really do it if I actually can. But then again, what if we move back with our Mom? Will I be able to continue with online school?

That's where it all came back.

Leaving.

I really want to go live with my Mom, but thinking about leaving them...just makes my eyes water.

Will we be able to visit them? Do they even want to see us if we leave?

*Knock knock*

Carina: "Everything alright bambina", I heard Carina call outside my bathroom door.

Me: "Yeah, why", I asked.

Carina: "Well you've been in there for quite a while. Dinner's ready."

Me: "Oh sorry. I'm coming."

I quickly got out of the shower and put on some clothes.

I walked into the dining room and found all of them waiting for me.

Me: "Sorry, I completely lost track of time in there", I apologized.

Carina: "That's okay, we just didn't want to eat without you."

I smiled and sat down.

We talked and laughed a lot during dinner time.

After I excused myself and went back into my room to draw.

The three of them asked me if I wanted to join them for a movie night, but I really wanted to be alone for a few minutes.

I hadn't drawn anything in a while and it really helps me take the edge off the day.

I sat down and started drawing a family having a picnic in a field. It was a nice warm summer day, and two parents took their two daughters out for a picnic.

While the two Moms were sitting on the picnic blanket the older sister gave the little one a piggyback ride. Everyone was smiling and laughing, everyone was happy.

I only noticed that I had drawn Maya and Carina as the parents and Ali and me as the two daughters, once I had finished it. I got so lost in my drawing, that I just decided to see where it would take me.

I couldn't help but wonder a little, whether what I was doing was actually the right thing to do. Ripping Ali out of her new home to put her back into one she has also been ripped out of.

I don't know what I want anymore.

I think...I think I don't want to leave.

Maya's POV

Ali and I were sitting on the couch, watching Aladdin for the hundredth time now. Ali really loved that movie, and for some weird reason, she loves to sit on the floor. I was looking at my phone when I heard Scarlett's bedroom door open.

Scarlett: "Hey, where's Carina", she asked, slowly making her way over to us.

Me: "She got paged to the hospital for an emergency C-section."

Scarlett: "Okay", she said sitting down.

Me: "Is everything alright", I asked.

She seemed a little upset and kept playing with her sleeves.

She took a deep breath in and hesitated a while.

Scarlett: "Yeah, just...a lot right now", she said, tears filling her eyes.

I extended my arms and signaled for her to hug me.

She hesitated but then laid her head on my chest, while I stroked her hair.

Me: "You know, if you want to talk, we're always here for you."

I could feel her nod her head.

We stayed like that until the movie was finished.

Ali had fallen asleep on the floor and Scarlett wasn't moving, so I thought she was sleeping too.

I really didn't want to wake up either of them, so I just tried to stay as still as possible.

On the one hand, I loved this moment, on the other hand, I really hoped for Carina to come in and accidentally wake them up because my leg was falling asleep, but I couldn't move it.

At around 10 PM, I slowly heard the door unlock and Carina came in as quietly as possible. She carefully put her bag on the dining room table and then spotted us in the living room.

Carina: "Why do these things always happen without me", she laughed quietly.

Maya: "Well...", I smiled.

Scarlett slowly started to move and sat up, rubbing her eyes.

Scarlett: "What time is it", she asked, yawning.

Carina:"Just after 10 bambina."

Scarlett: "Mmh", she answered still half asleep.

Carina: "Come on", Carina said, extending her hand to help Scarlett up.

While Carina was taking Scarlett to her room, I picked up Ali and carried her to her bed. She was fast asleep and at this point, I thought not even an earthquake was going to wake this kid up.

Carina's POV

I came home to the girls sleeping in the living room. Ali was laying on the floor, while Scarlett was cuddling with Maya.

After we accidentally woke her up, I helped her up and walked her to her room.

She flopped down onto her bed and I sat down next to her.

Me: "Everything alright?"

Scarlett: "Mmh. What about you", she asked tiredly.

Me: "I'm okay", I chuckled.

I was about to get up when Scarlett grabbed me by my hand.

Scarlett: "Don't leave. Please", she said looking sad.

I scooted closer to her and wrapped my arms around her, starting to stroke her hair.

Scarlett: "Tell me about your C-section", she said with a yawn.

I chuckled and started talking until she fell asleep.

I kissed her goodnight and then headed to bed.

Maya: "That took you long enough", Maya laughed, already laying in bed.

Me: "Had to get my cuddles", I smiled.

Maya: "With Scarlett?"

Me: "Mmh. She asked me to stay and tell her about the C-section", I said changing into my pajamas.

Maya: "She's been acting different lately. She almost called me Mom today."

Me: "What", I asked quickly turning around.

Maya: "Mmh, she came to tell me that Ali was hungry and almost called me Mom."

Me: "Okay, now I'm jealous", I said getting in beside her.

Maya laughed and wrapped her arms around me.

It didn't take long until we both drifted off to sleep.