Chapter 3: The house of chaos

I was woken up by Mary, who frantically shook me as if her life depended on it.

Mary: "Scarlett, Scarlett, wake up. They found a foster family for you."

I immediately jolted up in bed.

Me: "WHAT!". It couldn't be. I didn't even have the chance to tell Cindy that I didn't want to go to another foster family.

Mary: "And guess what", she uttered.

I didn't say a word.

Mary: "You're going to the Millers", she grinned.

My jaw dropped to the floor.

Me: "Nuh uh. Not happening", I got up and quickly put some clothes on.

Mary: "Wait what", she asked confused.

Me: "The Millers just collect kids. They don't care about any of us, they're just in it for the money. Didn't you hear, they let every kid do what they want and last year this kid called Micah jumped off the roof into a pile of mattresses and broke his arm. No way."

Mary: "Look at the bright side. People like the Millers are only temporary. They give you the freedom to do what you want, they don't lay a finger on you, and it's only for three days until the adoption fair. It will be fine."

I paused to think. She was right. We were free to do whatever we wanted. The Millers never gave out chores. They were always afraid of the kids breaking their "valuables". We stayed with them before until we were moved to, what was supposed to be, our permanent home. I could manage three days of chaos and in return be rewarded with sweet freedom.

I ran down the stairs, to talk to Cindy, hoping she hadn't already talked to Alice. On my way to her, I bumped into my sister.

Alice: "Hey. Where are you going", she asked looking completely clueless.

Me: "Oh I'm just heading down to Cindy, to ask her about the adoption fair", I lied.

Alice: "Can I come?"

Me: "Why don't you go and play with your friends and I'll join you later."

She nodded and then walked off in the opposite direction. I took a deep breath and continued my way to Cindy's office.

I didn't even bother to knock on the door, and directly stormed in.

Me: "Why didn't you tell me", I blurted out.

Cindy: "What do you mean", she asked scratching her head.

Me: "Why didn't you tell me that you put us on the list again. We barely just arrived and now you're going to just throw us into the next shit hole", I usually don't cuss but I was just so mad that I couldn't keep it in anymore.

Cindy: "Language", she exclaimed.

Me: "Sorry cap. It's just...Alice made friends here and she looks happy for once. I can't do this to her, not again", my eyes started to water.

Cindy: "I know honey. But you need to understand that we're trying. You still have a chance to get adopted, but you won't have that chance if you just spend your time cooped up in the group homes", she said trying to calm me down a little bit.

I sighed: "But the Millers?"

Cindy: "Oh yeah that wasn't my doing. But it's only for three days. They were still assigned to you guys, so they were the first fosters selected."

I sighed again.

Cindy: "Tell you what, if the adoption fair is unsuccessful, I will make sure you both come back here okay?"

I gave her a thanking smile. That's better than staying with the Millers for an eternity.

Me: "When do we have to leave", I asked already expecting the worst.

Cindy: "Not for a couple of hours. I made sure you have enough time to pack things up and say your goodbyes. You should probably start doing that, while I tell your sister."

I nodded and left her office.

I slowly made my way to my room to pack my things. It's not like I have that much to pack. I grabbed my bin bag and threw some clothes, my backpack, my toothbrush, and my toothpaste in the bag. Just as I was about to finish, I could see the door open and Alice came in crying.

I immediately opened up my arms and waited for her to throw herself into the hug.

Alice: "I don't want to leave", she said starting to sob.

Me: "I know bambina, but it's only for three days until the adoption fair", I stroked her hair.

Alice: "But what about my friends, what about Cindy?"

Me: "We can visit them. And Cindy said that she will make sure we come back here if the fair doesn't work out this time."

She was still crying at this point. I released her from the hug and gently grabbed her face: "Hey remember how much candy you ate last time we stayed with the Millers?"

She now started to smile: "I ate so much that my tummy hurt."

Me: "Exactly. And remember how you were allowed to ride the scooter all day and play basketball with the other kids", I tried to cheer her up.

Alice: "Yeah...", she smiled, thinking back at it.

I kissed her forehead: "Solo tre giorni." (Only three days).

Alice: "Mi prometti", she asked hopefully.

Me: "I promise."

We sat on my bed and just talked about all the fun things we encountered while moving from foster home to foster home until Cindy told us that it was time to leave.

 We hugged our friends goodbye and then followed Cindy out to her car. On the way to the Millers, I could see a sign that said there was a free walk-in clinic at station 19. I was surprised because it was the first time I ever heard about a fire station and a clinic in the same sentence. At the same time, I thought it would be nice to show the kids how there are still people out there that care.

It didn't really take that long to get to the Millers' house. To be honest, we probably could've walked, but we weren't allowed. The Millers' house is not to miss, with kids running around in the front and backyard, and toys everywhere. We made our way to the door and Cindy had a quick conversation with the Millers until leaving us there again.

Mrs. Millers: "Make yourself at home", she said without even looking at us, and went back to watch her TV show. 

The Millers were a middle-aged man and woman, who both looked like they had lost all hope in life. Mr. Millers works at a retail store and Mrs. Millers is a stay-at-home-foster-mom. Most of their income is from the foster care system.

I took Alice by her hand and guided her up the stairs, to the attic. After staying here multiple times, you figure out a few things to make it a bit more...endurable. 

We had made ourselves a little hideaway in the attic, between all the boxes and clutter, that allowed us to get a little peace and quiet. It was still there today since barely anyone ever comes up here.

 We put our stuff down and flopped onto the mattress, which released a cloud of dust. We couldn't help but laugh a little and immediately remembered that we have to turn the mattress around in order not to die of dust inhalation.

The rest of the day was as usual. Alice went downstairs and played with some of the kids, while I stayed upstairs and drew a little in my sketchbook. Time passed by pretty quickly and before we knew it, it was time for bed.