Chapter 23:

Scarlett's POV

I survived one and a half weeks without being caught. It was really easy, I waited in the morning for Maya or Carina to drive away and then walked from school to the train station or the camp. Afterwards, I would just walk home.

Today was just going to be like any other day.

I was dropped off at school and then walked to the camp.

Payton and I talked and just hung out for a while and I did a little schoolwork.

After a few hours, it wasn't just like any other day anymore.

In the middle of my biology schoolwork, I could see an aid car drive onto the campgrounds, with a 19 sticker on the windshield.

Me: "Shit", I exclaimed, and quickly tried to pack my things together.

Payton: "What? What's the problem?"

Me: "My foster mom works at station 19. If she or any of her coworkers see me here, while I am supposed to be in school I'm dead."

Slowly the panic was setting in on Payton's face too.

I thought I was doomed. We had nowhere to escape. We were surrounded by a high fence and we couldn't run to the exit, because that's where the aid car was parked. I started to panic and frantically looked around for a hiding spot.

Just then Payton grabbed me by my arm and pulled me towards a corner.

She pushed me through a hole in the fence and we started sprinting down a shallow street.

We didn't stop until reaching the main road again.

Me: "You think they saw us", I tried to catch my breath.

Payton: "I don't know, maybe?"

Me: "Shit."

Payton: "Maybe it wasn't them. They came to vaccinate the last time, maybe it was another station", she said, still bending over."

Me: "It said 19."

Payton: "Well, you'll find out."

We didn't go back to the camp until I had to leave. I was terrified that they would still be there and that they saw me.

I intentionally took ages to get home tonight and immediately disappeared into my room.

At around 7 PM I heard a knock on my door.

Me: "Come in", I said, packing away my sketchbook.

Maya: "Hey", she said, walking over to my bed.

Me: "Hey", I said, looking down at my paper again.

Maya: "So, how was school today", she asked.

She definitely said it weirdly though.

Me: "Boring", I said, not looking up from my paper.

Maya: "Really, what did you learn?"

She was basically interrogating me.

Me: "Nothing new."

Maya: "You know, the funniest thing happened today actually. Vic and Andy went to the homeless camp today, to vaccinate them, and they said that they could swear they saw you there."

And there it was. They did see me.

Me: "What would I do at the homeless camp", I asked confused, now turning around.

Maya: "That's what I asked them too. I assured them that you were at school."

Me: "What are you getting at", I asked raising my eyebrows.

Maya: "Nothing I just wanted to tell you. I thought it was funny. Anyway, dinner is almost ready, you coming?"

Me: "Yeah, give me a minute to finish this", I said and she left my room.

I slapped my forehead. Now she definitely was suspicious.

Carina's POV

I was happy that Scarlett joined us at dinner today. It was nice seeing her face again and talking to her a little bit. Well actually Maya and I were talking to her, and she just nodded her head from time to time.

After dinner, Scarlett went back into her room. I had asked her if I could take Alice to bed tonight and she seemed okay with it.

So after Alice showered and got ready, I tucked her into bed and she chose a for me to read to her.

Halfway through the book she was already half asleep.

I decided to give her a kiss goodnight.

Me: "Goodnight bambina, sleep tight", I whispered and went towards the door.

Alice: "Goodnight Mamma", I heard her say, while I was opening the door.

My eyes widened and I almost exploded from excitement.

I carefully closed the door and ran to our bedroom to let out a shriek.

Maya: "What was that", she laughed.

Me: "Alice just called me Mamma", I whispered.

Maya's eyes went huge.

Maya: "What?"

I bit my lip and nodded my head.

Maya: "That's not fair! I want her to call me Mom too", she said, pouting in a funny way.

Her expression turned serious and sad all of a sudden.

Me: "Oh come on, you'll get there", I chuckled.

Maya: "No it's not that."

Me: "What's wrong", I asked a little concerned.

Maya: "I think Scarlett is hiding something from us."

Me: "What", I asked confused.

Maya: "Well she hasn't been acting herself lately and just today Vic and Andy swore that they saw her at the homeless camp today."

Me: "Maya, what would she be doing at the homeless camp?"

Maya: "That's what she asked when I told her today too."

Me: "Maya, weren't you the one who told me that she was just being a normal teenager and we had nothing to worry about?"

Maya: "Yeah, but...I don't know...something is up."

I sighed and took a moment to think.

Me: "Tell you what. Instead of school I'll take her to the hospital tomorrow and see if can tickle it out of her okay?"

She nodded.

Me: "Don't worry about it", I said, pulling her into a hug.