A December's Kiss

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry Jane," Maria said and hugged her dear friend. "I really wish I could, but my uncle demands my return for 'safety' reasons."

"Yes, and Henry mentioned they need to take care of some business in London. Sir Benjamin refuses to allow Maria to be away without her entourage of protectors," Lizzy added.

"I'll continue to write to you, every week!" Cat said as she tackled Jane with a large hug. "Perhaps you can come down and visit us sooner?"

Jane nodded her head and promised to try. "Where are the boys?" Jane asked looking down the street.

"Afraid your beloved Richard won't say goodbye?" Cat teased.

Jane shook her head, but she couldn't stop the smile that appeared on her face.

"How unfortunate," Lizzy said. "I was hoping you'd become our cousin-in-law."

"Hmm, I quite like the idea of having her close by in Moonacre. I approve," Maria quipped.

Jane laughed, "You girls tease too much. I simply worry about your safety. I won't rest until I see those boys leading the way back to London and Moonacre."

"What a shame, and here I thought the beautiful Jane had finally warmed up to me," Richard said, emerging from the other side of the carriage. He was followed by his friends. Sticking to tradition, Robin remained at the back.

Richard produced some shockingly red flowers from behind his back and gave them to Jane. "An exotic bouquet for an exquisite lady," Richard said with an exaggerated bow.

Jane gasped, she had never seen such flowers. "Where are they from?"

Richard shrugged his shoulders. "Somewhere in the Americas, though this flower comes from Egypt. They're trying to cultivate them there."

"Oh, those are Poinsettias!" Lizzy said. "They're from Latin America and used as decorations for Christmas. How fitting!"

"Will you miss me now?" Richard grinned.

"Please, the only thing I'll miss is my brothers targeting you with their pranks instead of me." Jane laughed.

"Jane, just say the word and I'll be at your side taking on your brothers! I have a few ideas up my sleeves that'll make them think twice about pranking you."

"I'll think about it."

Meanwhile, Maria was loading her luggage into the carriage. Her mitten-covered hand slipped, and the luggage came falling down. It was about to crash into her when Robin intercepted it and pushed it back into the carriage.

"You have to be careful," he grunted.

"Like you care," Maria retorted. But she added a quiet "thanks" at the end.

Robin shrugged his shoulder, "perhaps not. But I do want to get you home in one piece. Otherwise, your uncle will kill me. I don't need two Merryweathers after me."

"How thoughtful," Maria stated sarcastically. Turning away, she shook her head sadly and mumbled, "I would never hurt you..." but Robin heard her.

He remained silent, his thoughts mulling on her words even as he helped load the rest of her friend's luggage. When he was finished, he went to his horse and waited for the girls to end their goodbyes.

...oOo...

"I don't like Robin," Maria stated.

The girls looked up from their tasks with confused faces. Lizzy was reading a novel while Cat was embroidering some birds. They were a few hours into their trip back home. Most of it had been in silence.