Chapter 16: Home

Song: Simply The Best  by The Hound + The Fox

All too quickly, two months turned into two weeks and two weeks turned into two days. Only Two days until the wedding, only two days until I do. Time had been passing so quickly that once it got close to time for the big event time started to slow back down to be painfully slow.

The past several weeks had been filled with Hermione and Draco's bachelorette and Bachelor parties. Ginny, Pansy, and Luna had the grand idea to take Hermione on a spa retreat out in the country. While Blaise, Theo, and Harry planned a craft beer cruise - or what Theo called a "Booze cruise." It ended quite abruptly when Harry and Theo had way too much to drink and started to dance provocatively on top of tables. Draco was absolutely mortified and they moved their party back to the apartment, where they watched trashy reality tv until the wee hours of the morning.

But two days before her wedding Hermione found herself doing something she thought she never would have to do. She was teaching two of her oldest friends how to drive a muggle car.

"Harry, HARRY! Watch out for that-"

At the last moment, he swerved out of the way and narrowly missed a fire hydrant up on the sidewalk.

"Bloody Hell." Muttered Ron in the back seat, looking like he was about to be car sick.

"Hermione," said Harry slowly, trying to calm her down so she would keep helping him. "I literally have never driven a muggle car before. I just need a bit of guidance, that's all."

"Okay, okay," she said, readjusting herself in her seat. "Grip the steering wheel at nine and two, and keep it steady. We're gonna head east out of town." Bringing her volume down significantly she also included, "And away from pedestrians."

For a good ten minutes, the three of them kept heading east and Harry miraculously managed not to wreck the car he bought cheap off one of his muggle neighbors. The night before, he managed to coax Hermione into teaching him how to drive a muggle car. Something he had always wanted to learn, but never got around to until his mid-twenties. Ron on the other hand had driven a car before, but it was in the air and not the ground like it was designed to be.

"Put on your right blinker." Reminded Hermione, when the two of them approached a four-way stop.

Harry flicked one of the sticks that stuck out below the steering wheel and the windshield wipers started going back and forth at a very high intensity. When he attempted to fix it some kind of liquid sprayed up on the windshield and scared Harry a good bit.

"What the Hell?" He asked himself, looking down at the steering wheel in confusion. Glancing over at Hermione he looked both frustrated and helpless.

"Harry," she muttered, leaning over the center console. She flipped a couple of switches and the windshield wipers stopped moving at once.

"Oh." Said Harry in defeat.

"It's alright Harry, it takes a bit of getting used to. When my Dad first taught me I was absolutely dreadful at it." Admitted Hermione, reflecting back on one of the few things she wasn't a natural at.

Ron held his stomach in fear of getting carsick and inquired, "So, you're telling me that the Hermione Granger wasn't a driving prodigy?"

Hermione laughed at him and they carried on down the road. The further they drove out from the city the scenery became rural and green. After several near-death experiences, Ron finally asked the question both himself and Hermione had been wondering since Harry got behind the wheel: "Did the Dursleys' teach you anything?"

"Nope." He stated plainly. Keeping his eyes on the road he shared that, "They never would have thought to teach me how to drive."

"Did they teach Dudley?" Hermione prodded, merely curious.