I cleared my throat once I reached the table. As I placed the drink down I heard an abrupt laugh escape the man's lips. Probably caused by the sight of an entire cake placed in front of him. 

I pulled back, staring wide-eyed at him. The blush only spread and grew deeper as I watched him, with his head thrown back, a hand resting on his stomach as a full bellow of laughter filled the air around us. 

Again, I clasped my hands behind my back to keep from fidgeting. I waited patiently, as I do every day, to watch the man's reaction and to hopefully talk for a brief moment before returning to work. 

Only, today, he's had a much different reaction than I've ever seen. 

I honestly didn't know how to feel at that moment. I worked extremely hard on the coffee cake. It's something I'm used to making, except today I decided to branch out and create a peach cobbler coffee cake. I noticed, over the past couple of days, that the man had a preference for fruit flavoring when it came to his morning pastries. 

Now with his current reaction, I can only assume I messed it up somehow. My anxiety got the better of me as I began contemplating the worst. What if I put myself too far out there and this was his way of rejecting me? I mean, it was only a cake for crying out loud, but it was still a sign. At least, I wanted it to be. Maybe it was the wrong sign? Maybe he hates coffee cake or peaches. Maybe he read a funny text message, right before I got here? Maybe, maybe, maybe...

Deep in thought, I didn't notice the man moving to stand in front of me. He pressed his thumb into my bottom lip, forcing me to release my lip from its dangerous hold between my teeth. My attention was on him now, as he looked down at me, eyes trained on the red and swollen lip he just rescued.

"Stop that...", he practically growled. His eyes, once again, were dark as I stared up into them. I opened my mouth to speak only to shut it again, as I was incapable of making a sound. There was no more air in the world for me to breathe, let alone to speak. 

He dropped his hand that was gripping my chin and he sat down again swiftly. I blinked rapidly, watching him sprawl back out into his previous position as if nothing had happened. Maybe nothing had happened? Could a daydream be as vivid as that moment was? 

Before I could dig deeper into my delusional thoughts, he spoke, "A cake?" His eyebrows were raised in question, but the most ear-splitting grin rested on his lips. This was amusing for him, "An entire cake?"

He was laughing again, only this time it was soft chuckles as he shook his head. "Well you definitely outdid yourself, that's for sure. I am surprised."

I brought my hand up to scratch at the back of my neck while I kept my eyes trained on my shoes. They were dirty from the countless hours spent in the store baking and serving customers. The blush from before had never left and I could feel it intensifying.

Unexpectedly, the man reached out his hand to grip my unoccupied one, which brought my eyes flying to his own. The same eyes held a tender look to them, one I'd never seen on this man.

"Take a seat," he requested. I couldn't even fully shake my head in protest before he was gripping my hand just a tad harder for emphasis. "I can't eat this entire cake alone. You'll sit with me for a moment and have a slice," he practically demanded.

Although the cafe was owned by me, meaning I was more in charge than anyone else, I couldn't help but follow his command and took a timid seat across from him. I watched quietly as he took a piece for himself and prepared a slice for me, which he slid over on a napkin. Before he took a bite, he watched me earnestly, waiting.

I had almost forgotten about our daily ritual. The one where I rambled on about the things I brought to him. I found myself embarrassed each time, but it seemed the strange man looked forward to the information.