Chapter 31 - Parting

Early morning sunlight kissed the eastern rim of the valley, but the basin itself remained shrouded in blue-gray shadows as Triss, Behn, and Obi prepared to depart.

Galen joined Sev, Iksthanis, Zenír, Anira, and several others to see them off, gathering in a group near the stone bridge that led the way out of the valley.

He hugged himself unhappily as he watched Behn adjusting the straps of his sturdy pack, while Obi helped Triss fasten her travel cloak in place with a simple wooden brooch.

"Don't worry, Gale," Behn said, clapping him on the shoulder. "Triss will take care of me. And look how I've hardened up!"

He flexed his biceps, which were indeed sizable.

"Just imagine what a few more weeks on the road will do. I'll be hero material!"

"You're already hero material, Behn," Galen said, smiling. "You gave up everything to help a friend, and now you're putting yourself in harm's way again. That's what heroes do."

"Well, you know." Behn blushed and glanced at Triss before leaning closer to Galen and whispering, "Hot hero material, I mean."

Galen laughed and drew his friend into a hug. "You're right. A few more weeks on the road should do it," he said, and sniffed against the threat of tears.

"Meanwhile," Behn whispered near his ear, and inclined his head towards Sev, who was helping Obi with his pack. "Keep an eye on that one. He looks at you the way I'd look at a hot savory pie."

Galen merely nodded. He hadn't told Behn about the strange little kiss, or the words that had accompanied it, and he didn't know he would have, even if he'd had the time. It had changed his plans, but his feelings remained confused, especially considering what he meant to do now.

"Hey, where's mine?" Triss shouldered her way between them and crushed Galen in her arms. "Don't forget about us, and be safe, little shrimp."

Grimacing at the old nickname, Galen pushed her away. "Everyone's a shrimp compared to you."

Triss laughed and patted his head. It was true she was taller even than most Thrynian men, who were among the tallest in Sakkara.

"Maybe I'm part Dweller," she teased. "You can tell me all about them when we return. I'm a little jealous, actually. It will be fascinating to see what you discover."

"Yeah, it will," Galen agreed noncommittally and looked away.

Triss laid a hand on his shoulder. "This isn't goodbye, you know," she said more gently. "It's just 'see you later.' We'll be back together before you know it."

Galen nodded — that was one thing he could agree on — and gave Triss one last embrace.

And so, with words of farewell and well wishes, the trio turned their backs on the Haven and crossed the narrow bridge. Galen watched them go, and felt as if a string tied about his heart grew tighter with each step they took, urging him to follow them. Instead, he stayed where he was, watching until the travelers reached a sharp bend in the path. Obi disappeared first, and then Triss; but Behn stopped and turned back to wave.

Galen returned the gesture with a bitter-tinged smile, and then Behn followed the others, and his friends were gone.

-✵-

In the days that followed, Galen did all he could to make himself useful around the Haven, dividing his time primarily between the House of Healing and the kitchens. He did so partly to take his mind off Triss and Behn, and partly from a genuine desire to be useful. But in further part, too, he had another motive entirely.