Chapter 20 - Fall

Barrowlings dropped from the branches overhead, aiming to knock their target to the ground. Others waiting in the brush, ready to grab the unfortunate victim and drag him or her away; but the runners stuck together, and Iksthanis, Obi and Sevhalim dispatched any that came within their reach. Triss and Rea shot arrows at those they spotted overhead, dropping half a dozen in a minute. It wouldn't make a dent in the barrowlings' numbers, but Galen saw the shafts were not wasted.

Around each fallen creature, dozens more gathered, and from the wet tearing and snapping sounds, Galen guessed why: the barrowlings wouldn't let fresh meat go to waste, and for every one they killed, many more were distracted by an easy feast.

Still, plenty remained, and if they blocked the path ahead, they were doomed no matter how many Triss and Rea shot.

"Save your arrows," Sev yelled. "We will need them yet."

Fortunately, the barrowlings were still mostly behind them. It seemed that while they could move quickly over short distances, leaping frog-like from one spot to another, or skittering on all fours, they were not built for sustained speed. They kept up, but were not fast enough to get ahead of the runners as a coordinated group—which alone saved them.

The barrowlings grew more agitated by the second, and the pines rang with their awful shrieks.

"We must be near the edge!" Iksthanis said. "Clouds or not, they won't follow us from the pines in daylight!"

With this thought adding hope to their desperation, the weary group felt fresh energy hasten their steps. Ahead of them, light shone through the trees, and with the promise of freedom within reach, their hearts lifted even as the barrowlings howled.

Then, rounding a bend, they came to an abrupt and near-disastrous halt.

They had not found the edge of the pines; instead, a deep gorge cut a chasm in the earth at their feet. Those in the lead nearly ran straight into thin air, and then those who came behind nearly pushed them into it. With shouts of surprise, they managed not to fall, and Triss took hold of Behn, who had taken half a step into nothing, and hauled back from the brink.

Once they were all on firm ground, they took stock.

The gorge was wide but narrow enough to be spanned by a log of the largest pines. One of these stretched across it, felled from the opposite side for this purpose. Its thinner end rested in a natural divot of stone, lending it stability.

The sides of the chasm were vertical sheets of jagged stone, and fifty feet below a ran a torrent of swift water, fast and deep. On the opposite side, more pines awaited; but beyond these—just visible through the gaps—came the bright light of open air. They were close.

"One at a time!" Sev ordered, inspecting the makeshift bridge. "This log is older than the others we've seen—we must take care. Triss, you go first, then Rea with Zenír. You two cover us from that side with your bows."

"I will go last," Iksthanis said. "I am the heaviest. If the log breaks, best that the rest of you are safe across."

Sev nodded and gestured for Triss to go. She mounted the log, took a breath, and ran across, sure-footed and fleet. On the other side, she took up position and aimed at the trees where the barrowlings clamored, their agitation increasing as their chance at a meal slipped away.

"Rea, take Zenír."

Rea nodded and stepped atop the log, helping Zenír up after her. They started over, and Sev reached for Behn. "You next."

Behn shrank away, his face gray and a sheen of sweat on his brow, and Galen remembered he feared heights.

"I can't," he gasped, shaking his head. "I can't do it."